Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2013, 07:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
Probably CF vinyl.
I second that... It's shiny, and has a weave
Old January 12, 2013, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm just gonna admit my defeat right now. You guys were right, but after a couple hours getting a perfect fit on my motherboard's "armour" I decided to rip the vinyl off. It just didn't look like what I had expected.

This was my next move, the grills. There's one on the front and one on the top that I had to remove. Luckily enough they're just held on by themselves, I bent the steel back and it popped out with ease. Two hours of sanding that ridiculously thick layer of black paint by hand (the grills were slightly rounded, my finishing sander wouldn't have done jack) and they went into painting. My back is absolutely killing me right now, so you get finished pictures tomorrow

Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old January 14, 2013, 07:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This weekend pretty much marked the end of my build log. A lot of frustration and some ridiculous back pain kinda cut it short. Alas, I'm pretty happy with the finished product.

This is what the finished front grill looked like. Surprisingly it was a lot easier to get the grill back onto the plastic frame than it was getting it off.

This is the picture I got of the old and the new. You can hopefully get a sense of how damn big the Cosmos II is. That and it's kinda sad to see how messy the backside of my U2-UFO was.

What's a mod without problems, problems, and more problems? I seem to not know how to measure properly. Originally I had shown you guys the placeholder radiator I used for sizing things. That measures in at 28mm of thickness. The rad I have now is an XSPC AX360, which is 40mm thick. Seeing as it was the cooling for my old rig I had no way to pull it out and check for sure before I chopped up the case. Somehow I managed to measure up thirty millimetres as opposed to the forty that it is. The end result, a lot of chopping up a $350 case for no reason. I ended up having to put the rad inside the case and the fans on the top.

With that major frustration aside I got my watercooling all hooked up and ready for leak testing. I used Primochill's new tubing and I was actually pretty impressed with it. Seems to be pretty damn pliable without kinking. It does have a bit of a funky smell to it though. Lots of leftovers from trying to cut the tubes to the best lengths! Keep an eye out for them later, they're actually pretty useful. (A quick hint for those looking into watercooling. Buy something similar to these tube cutters, they're probably the best investment I've made for WCing.)

To get the proper bend for the GPU to pump tube, I used a little boiling water and a cup. Took about two minutes in the hot water and then a quick bath in cold water when it was shaped to my liking.

Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old January 14, 2013, 08:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

RIDGID
PC-1250 PVC And Plastic Tubing Cutter

25 $ at Home Depot

picked one up at work.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And here's the last of the pictures I have for now. Told you the leftover tubing was useful! No vibration whatsoever.

Another shot of the front. Lugging the damn thing onto my desk was ridiculously hard. Thing weighs about 65 pounds loaded.

Yay bubbles.

Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old January 14, 2013, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks super clean.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gorgeous
Old January 15, 2013, 12:17 AM
MVP

My System Specs

great lookin build
very classy colour scheme
Sabertooth looks nice in there
Old January 15, 2013, 06:31 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Spacktackular! But why is the CPU block upside down? I've noticed this on a few other builds with EK blocks...
Old January 15, 2013, 07:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks everybody! The rig seems to be chugging along quite nicely. So far I'm about 9 hours stable at 4.5GHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concinnity View Post
Spacktackular! But why is the CPU block upside down? I've noticed this on a few other builds with EK blocks...
It's because the inlet is on the left side of the block. Rather than have it right side up and have the tubes and barbs crossing, it's easier to just turn the block.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used