Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2012, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think something that reacts like my old reacted $500 Propane 4x4 did would be pretty good, when my 4x4 would over heat the propane pump would actually freeze I never could figure out why it did that but it did. when I was way back in the bush a branch of a tree punctured a small hole through my Rad ( I used pepper to clog it until I could get out of the bush lol) which of course over heated my engine , which froze my lines I had to wait a couple of hours for them to thaw. that type of idea would most likely work great in cooling a OCed PC but because the supposed hotter the PC would get the cooler the Lines would get
Old December 18, 2012, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hehe.

There's another person here looking to do this too.
-------------

I'm one of the top 10 of 'submersion' coolers in the world ( not bragging , look it up )

Here's my take : don't bother unless you want sheer 'cool' factor.It's really expensive.

It's really not practical to make a 'pc' thats submersion cooled....it's only practical when it's on the industrial scale , as far as efficient cooling goes.

My rigs are all air cooled.

Old December 19, 2012, 08:45 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

From what I've seen and read, it's done because it's kwel, not cooler.
Oil sucks for cooling. Much better cooling results on air or water.

Was thinking about grabbing one of those kits posted a on this thread.
But would be for an older system that would be used as an HTPC and something kwel to look at. Parts would be scrapped once the kwel factor wears off.
Old December 19, 2012, 04:25 PM
Rookie

As others have said this definitely isn't a "great" way of cooling a computer. However, it definitely does work and I myself have built about 3 of them as different projects for different people. If you are going for performance cooling to overclock things, I recommend you go a different route, you will not achieve the results that you want, they are also a pain in the butt to work with.

On to the logistics, I would not recommend doing your fish tank in a fish tank idea. While it is possible, it is going to be extremely extremely hard to perfectly seal every part of the inner fish tank and if there is the smallest leak anywhere you will be frying your computer and killing your fish.

As far as building the actual computer this is how I do most of mine. Find an old metal sliding keyboard tray from a desk, you can drill holes into that and put standoff into it to mount your motherboard. I even drilled holes through the sliders so I could insert a pin on each side. Those pins allowed you to grab the mobo tray and slide it vertically up out of the oil, you could then put the pins in each side and it would stay out of the oil and drain most of it off the components. To mount the sliding tray I carefully drill holes through the glass to put the screws and then seal those off. Drilling holes through glass is a pretty big pain just fyi.

After thats it is about like building any other computer though, you just drop it in your choice of mineral oil afterwards. Just make sure to keep the HDD and the ODD out of the oil, that will ruin them. I then also normally insert an intake and an outtake tube send it through a pump and a radiator just to keep the oil a little bit cooler. I have built 2 computers where I left things like the GPU and CPU heatsinks and fans intact just like a normal computer, and I have also built one without any heatsinks on the components directly. From the temperatures of the ones I have built there doesn't seem to be a large difference between the two configurations.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hey OP , I don't mean to sound negative.

I will help you make a submersion rig no problem.You really can buy a kit if yah want , or you can fabricate from scratch.

Oil cooling is 50+ years old , but that doesn't mean it's not cool or worth an a+ on a school project.

----

Good luck mang , PM me , I'll help if I can.