Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2012, 08:23 AM
Rookie

This is looking awesome already keep it up i'm subbed
Old November 12, 2012, 08:39 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Update!

Sleeving USB 3.0 front headers. I haven't seen anyone make a tutorial on how to do it, and it was quite a task, let me tell you.

The main problem, is that you either need large sleeve to go over the motherboard connector, or, you need to modify the headers because the casings are heat-sealed after they are installed on the header.

So, we cut both side with an exacto knife, leaving both screw mounts intact. Cut below and above it. You have to go fairly deep, but ensure you aren't cutting any wires. There's also hot clue on the wiring/connector to keep everything in place. When you remove the connector from the casing, you've gotta be careful, otherwise it the connector will come apart.

After it's removed, you just use your MDPC USB sleeve to sleeve the cable. Placing the casing back on the connector takes a bit of work, just make sure you put your heatshrink ON before the casings. Once the casings are on, then you can torch your heatshrink.

Just waiting for the Heatshrink to cool down to hit it again to make sure it's nice and form-fitting.

The Hue Lighting system.

Fans prepped for cleaning of where the Gelid decals were. Custom stickers are on order :

Starting on tubing. Those Monsoon compressions look really sexy.

And now I await my GPU back from RMA, and perhaps there's a little something something coming this week. :)

The Custom front panel should be here today or tomorrow, so that will be test-fitted and the project box for the lighting completed as well.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Awesome project
Thanks for showing the usb3 sleeving nice job
they are a PITA
Old November 13, 2012, 09:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Never seen someone make their own rad screws before. Great pump/reservoir mounting scheme to boot. Regarding the bottom mounted radiator: How do you drain it come maintenance time? Alot of case tilting?
Old November 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
Never seen someone make their own rad screws before. Great pump/reservoir mounting scheme to boot. Regarding the bottom mounted radiator: How do you drain it come maintenance time? Alot of case tilting?
Nope, that EK radiator actually has a stop fitting on one end, so, I can just unscrew it from the radiator and tilt the case forward, which will drain everything since it's at a low point.

You can see better what I'm talking about here:

Both sides of the radiator have 2 ports, and then that one fill/drain port on the side. In total, 5 ports. Pretty nice.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:15 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Time for an update!

So, the GPU should be in my hands Monday or Tuesday, which means? Build time! Now... for some more modding work....

Received the custom Aquaero 5 panl from DWood

Some Stickers for the fans.

Now it's time for some Acrylic work. I found that if you actually use a Dremel Metal cutting disc, and use the top surface of it, you can "grind down" or shave off acrylic in orderly fashion, which allows you to get more detailed results with a handfile once you're done.

Once cut down, I hand-file it

PERFECT!

Then I use a propane torch to gently "kiss" the edges to make them nice and smooth. No screws are needed to install as the acrylic fits perfectly into the opening....

But.,.. I felt something was missing.... Something just didn't feel right... We need it to match the rest of the build... and there's mesh.... so...

Now, we need a hole for the LED.... X marks the spot...

More to come in the next few days.... :) The fun REALLY begins..
Old November 18, 2012, 12:18 PM

My System Specs

Are you happy w/ the work Dwood did for you? I'm considering him for all the metal work I need on my build. But I've heard mixed things about his work.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Great update XNine
nice acrylic work
stickers look hot
did you print them yourself?
I am trying to print my own grrrrrrrr
Old November 18, 2012, 12:42 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Are you happy w/ the work Dwood did for you? I'm considering him for all the metal work I need on my build. But I've heard mixed things about his work.
I have nothing but good things to say. The panel does fit a little bit tight, but it's better than too loose which would make it flop around. The cutting was precise and working with him has been great. Better results than I could have done by hand, which, is why I went that route, because, I don't want to compromise on this build.

His prices are fantastic and his work is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
Great update XNine
nice acrylic work
stickers look hot
did you print them yourself?
I am trying to print my own grrrrrrrr

Thanks :) Nah, I bought the stickers from Zazzle. Uploaded my own image and purchased them. It was like 20 stickers for 8 bucks shipped. Not too shabby, except they took a week and a half to print them. I had to email them and raise hell that my order was "processing" and like 20 minutes later they had a shipping notification. Other than that, yeah, they turned out pretty well.
Old November 18, 2012, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sexy Sexy Sexy Drive bay cover.

never mind read the rest of th posts answer in there. :D