Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2012, 09:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Local Stores that sell LEDs (Edmonton)

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone know a store that sells LEDs other than The Source? I'm looking for Edmonton specifically, but any chain ideas would help me track them down.

The source seems to only have 2 packs of Red ones for about 15 bucks, which is a little brutal. I'm hoping to use them to finish up a costume so I want to get local because of the time constraint. I'll phone around in the AM, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Old October 23, 2012, 10:44 PM
Allstar

Active Tech : 6029 103rd Street North West, Edmonton, Alberta T6H 2H3 Canada
Locations at Active Tech | Electronics Equipment and Supplies

MRO : 10512, 178 Street Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.T5S 2J1
Contact Us - MRO Electronic Supply Ltd.

I used both of them in Vancouver but not anymore since Active's store here is closed and MRO stuff here have an attitude problem.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

ack , source bad.

Good call moocow , I shop at both companies here in Calgary.I'd also add B&E electronics.They have a shop in Edmonton as well.

I'm a LED fanatic.I light a good part of my house with LED's.I just installed 35 feet of addressable RGB LED strip on my bookshelves.

If you have any questions let me know.

Old October 23, 2012, 11:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks gents,
I assumed active would have them, but I haven't been there in a long time so couldn't remember for certain (and they're obviously not open at 10 at night so I couldn't call). I've never heard of MRO but I'll take a look at them.

Braineater; have you ever made normal LEDs flash? I know I could hook one up to a Timer Circuit like a 555, but am curious if that's really the easiest way (outside of getting Flashing LEDs of course). I've only ever worked with EL wire before, this will be my first time using LEDs and thankfully not having to work with ever failing inverters.

Thanks again guys.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sure.I've made controllers with 555's etc.Here's my advice : don't bother.

Go and buy led strips with a controller.I'd suggest the same stuff I just installed ; addressable RGB strip.

It's a 1/2" wide 'tape' of leds.each led can do any color.each 3 leds is a 'pixel'.The controller can not only make em flash , but can scroll/fade colors/etc...

-I won't lie , it's not cheap unless you get a deal, but if you are doing case lighting or something , you can prolly get away with 100$.