Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/)
-   -   WIP Watercooled Prodigy Project. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/57400-watercooled-prodigy-project.html)

Mena October 20, 2012 04:46 PM

Watercooled Prodigy Project.

Greetings all.

I am in the process of gathering parts for a second Prodigy. I want to learn how to watercool this one though.....but I HAVE TO KEEP THE ODD BAY.

I got the following so far:

BitFenix Prodigy Black ( this will be my second one now )
ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe ( Bought from Soullessone )
CPU ( looking for a 3770K see thread in BST )
Seasonic X PSU ( Again looking for one in BST )
Samsung DDR3L 8GB ( Bought from Newegg.ca )
Bitfenix Specter 200mm Orange( This was a mistake purchase....ah well )
BitFenix Specter Pro 230mm White LED ( Will be modded with Orange LEDs....once I learn how to solder )
SSD x 2 ( still need to decide which ones. NO OCZ/SF DRIVES )
Bitfenix Recon ( hence the ODD )
4 x Cougar Vortex PWM fans ( Directcanada.com )
1 x Cougar Vortex 140mm Fan ( Directcanada again )
EVGA 670 "Short Board" ( need to purchase )

This will be my little "Powerhouse" computer for gaming and such. No particular game in case you are going to ask that.

Now I want to do watercooling....for the first time. I was going to pick up a 200mm radiator but I heard that it will not fit in the prodigy due to it hitting the I/O ports on the side panel ( whose dumb idea was it to put them there? LOL!!! ) and I do not want to move them.

What are my options? What parts are recommended? Silence is the main goal here. If not obtainable I will just forget it and grab a H100 or H80i when it comes out.

As it stand now I know NOTHING about watercooling.

BeaverBender October 20, 2012 04:49 PM

I would just grab the H100 and go with that...

Mena October 20, 2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeaverBender (Post 664423)
I would just grab the H100 and go with that...

Yeah but with all the issues Corsair has been having I have lost a little trust in them....plus even a H100 is not as good as the real deal plus I need to learn this stuff.

Thanks though. :thumb:

BeaverBender October 20, 2012 05:01 PM

Well then, check out this thread at NCIX:

NCIX FORUMS - Liquid Prodigy: Mini-ITX Watercooled Ga...

Mena October 20, 2012 05:13 PM

Hmm...nice build but not want I wanted. I may even go two rads ( will that make a difference? )

CMetaphor October 21, 2012 08:33 AM

I once considered a Bitfenix prodigy, but then I found the build quality to be sub-par TBH. When those little mac-handles flex under the weight of the case when empty, it cant be a good sign. Those handles also make the case needlessly bigger and you loose some of the compact feel because of them.

Mena October 21, 2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 664519)
I once considered a Bitfenix prodigy, but then I found the build quality to be sub-par TBH. When those little mac-handles flex under the weight of the case when empty, it cant be a good sign. Those handles also make the case needlessly bigger and you loose some of the compact feel because of them.

To each their own I guess. I like the look of it. :thumb:

Any ideas regarding watercooling? Parts and such?

Father Fuzzy October 21, 2012 10:42 AM

When I first started my Prodigy I was going to use h100 and fanless graphics but went crazy with the watercooling
putting 2 rads ,it gets tight in there but possible
nice choice of components ,love that mobo

U might want to pick up a USB3 mobo header extension because of placement on the mobo
Picked up mine from caselabs

Samsung ssd's have dropped in price and would go with the black /orange theme

Are you going to watercool the graphics?

Mena October 21, 2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Fuzzy (Post 664571)
When I first started my Prodigy I was going to use h100 and fanless graphics but went crazy with the watercooling
putting 2 rads ,it gets tight in there but possible
nice choice of components ,love that mobo

U might want to pick up a USB3 mobo header extension because of placement on the mobo
Picked up mine from caselabs

Samsung ssd's have dropped in price and would go with the black /orange theme

Are you going to watercool the graphics?

Thank you for replying Fuzzy.

I am planning to get a short PCB EVGA 670 and slap on something called a Heatkiller 3 on it.....when funds permit of course.

As for Caselabs they will not ship to Canada....or so I am told. :( I do have a friend from another site ( you know him ) getting me some short drive bay brackets and then he is shipping them to me...that should allow for me to mount my Recon and still have a rad of some sort up there....He offered me the extension cable and I said no..... then realized last night that was a mistake and I should have taken up his offer Ah well that is a lesson learned. I guess.

Thing is I know NOTHING about watercooling. I am doing research on what to do and it is confusing the hell out of me. Metals, tube sizes, compression fittings ( whatever those are ) It is enough to drive me to bashing my head against my wall. LOL!!!!

Good idea with the Sammys.....although the write speeds are a little slow.......the colors would go great!!!! Thank you!!!

So ANY HELP from anyone is welcome.

Fuzzy....YGPM BTW incoming.

Father Fuzzy October 21, 2012 03:01 PM

Feel free to pm me about any watercooling questions
I have received many orders from Caselabs love em,no problem
I almost bought samsung ssd's yesterday for my new build for the black/orange on them
as far as i understand they have they same controller as the crucial m4 which I am using on my testbench now
dont Let the Atto numbers fool ya,it is a very zippy ssd
Cant really say I notice a difference to my Intel 520's which has the Sandforce controllers and faster write speeds