Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2012, 08:39 AM
MVP

How is it for silence? ( under 20db is my goal )

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old October 23, 2012, 08:53 AM
MVP

Here is a link that was shown to me. Around the 35 minute mark I am concerned about that noise. Even at the end it is still pretty noisy.

BitFenix Prodigy Water Cooled WHS2011 Home Server Build - Part 2 - The Build - YouTube

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old October 23, 2012, 10:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
Feel free to pm me about any watercooling questions
I have received many orders from Caselabs love em,no problem
I almost bought samsung ssd's yesterday for my new build for the black/orange on them
as far as i understand they have they same controller as the crucial m4 which I am using on my testbench now
dont Let the Atto numbers fool ya,it is a very zippy ssd
Cant really say I notice a difference to my Intel 520's which has the Sandforce controllers and faster write speeds
This is one of the reasons I went with Samsung that and reliability , the controller is not the same its Samsungs own controller.

"3-core ARM9-based MCX Controller
While most SSD makers rely on generic, dual-core controllers, Samsung has developed its own proprietary, triple-core MCX controllers that excel in multi-tasking and help to assure stead performance over time. Based on an ARM9 controller, its three CPU cores can execute multiple instructions such reading data, writing data and optimization."
Old October 23, 2012, 04:17 PM
MVP

Okay I will try the sammys then. Wonder if I should hold out for the 840 though....a $100 premium over the 830s is a little much. :(

Old October 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would just go with the 830. 100 dollars for a little extra write speed not worth it imo. How often are you going to be writing?
Old October 23, 2012, 05:05 PM
MVP

Here is something that HAS to be decided fast.

Since I am having no luck at all in my BST thread when it comes to my PSU of choice NCIX has on sale a Seasonic X-760W for $159.99 and a Seasonic X-850W for 179.99

With my parts and watercooling the 760 should be MORE than enough.....but the 850 is only 20 more.....but I have been hearing stories about high pitched noises coming from the 850W models of Corsairs, Seasonics ( same thing I know ) and that worrys me.

Should I just go with the X-760? Does it have noise issues like the squealing?

Have to know this by tonight or tomorrow BEFORE the new NCIX sale takes place.

Quote:
I would just go with the 830. 100 dollars for a little extra write speed not worth it imo. How often are you going to be writing?
I dunno. Game installs and such. You are correct though....I just like the "Bigger Better" things. LOL!!!! Something that I am currently trying to stop doing.

Old October 23, 2012, 05:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

my 2 cents
pay the 20.00 for the 850

are they the same size?
cuz it gets tight in there
Old October 23, 2012, 09:13 PM
MVP

Same physical size. 160mm length. Gonna be tight but it should slide in there. *wow that did NOT sound right*. lol!

However I have seen them in Prodigy builds so I know it will fit.

Old October 24, 2012, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Rons Vidio

That is the pump at full speed
He has it connected to a power supply without the Pwm conector. and no pwer to the board.
In that state it will default to hiest setting.
so that is the loudest the pump will sound. If you connect the Pwm it will be quieter and the system still has some air bubbels in it so it will get quiter still.

He said something like this in the comments below the vidio.
Old October 24, 2012, 05:57 PM
MVP

I may have missed that then. Something to consider.