Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/)
-   -   Your choice between: Corsair Obsidian 800D and Cooler Master Cosmos II? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/57391-your-choice-between-corsair-obsidian-800d-cooler-master-cosmos-ii.html)

Rassal October 20, 2012 10:19 AM

Your choice between: Corsair Obsidian 800D and Cooler Master Cosmos II?

I am really thinking of replacing my old but still good Antec P190 Casing...

I got a Rampage IV Extreme motherboard with an H80 Corsair cooler.

I am currently planning on doing some custom watercooling, and i think those 2 cases both have a very good watercooling capacity. The CM is a little more expensive than the 800D, but i am wondering, what would be your choice between those 2?

I am trying to stay on those 2... I know there is better for custom watercooling, like CaseLabs cases, but CaseLabs are not really under 400-500$ with good options for watercooling and to get them in Canada, you need to pay like 100$ in shipping excluding the surprise of customs fees...

My choice is between the CM and the Corsair... Explain your choice and the pro/cons of them. I read plenty of unboxing and review, and to be honest, i like both and they are both very good cases, with good reviews.

I want to know from you guys, that probably own the 800D or the Cosmos 2, what are your opinions...

You can see the kind of hardware i will fit in there in my sig...

Also, i am planning on watercooling the rig once i get the casing, window or not, i don't care, and i am aiming at a dual MCP655 with a Bitspower D5/MCP655 Mod Top with a Bitspower Z-Multi 250 reservoir. So with this, i am looking at lots of space inside the case. I plan on mounting the reservoir directly to the pump top, so the pump can't be located in the power supply area, they will all be around the drive bays, probably attached to them.

Thanks!

dustin1706 October 20, 2012 07:19 PM

Hey Rassal. Looks like we run similar systems. Those are 2 pretty baller cases for a liquid cooled system and honestly either will do. It will come down to which features are more important to you (future upgrades?) and which aesthetics you prefer.

Both: Similar sizes (coolermaster measurements include the feet/handles), similar layout, dust filters, great cable management, 3x120 radiator up top, 2 year warranty, very heavy. If you are just running SSDs and 1 HDD the number of 3.5 bays won't really matter.

The Cosmos:
Esata and a fan controller on the front panel
If you take the bottom cage out, you can fit a 2x120 rad
10+1 expansion slots so you can run quad SLI/Xfire
200mm front intake
2xhotswap bays + 3x5.25 bays
Has some plastic :(
no window

800D:
All steel with an aluminum front panel
4x hotswap bays + 5x5.25 bays
I can vouch for the durable finish
Can fit a 2x120 rad in the bottom, but requires minor modification with a drill/dremel.
Only 7 expansion slots

I wish the rumors were confirmed on the new corsair case. Looks cool. Corsair 900D "Godzilla" Full Tower Chassis Leaked

I've done 2 builds in my 800d now and I really like it. I have mine setup with a loop for the CPU/Mobo and a loop for the GPU. I had an EK dualtop with reservoirs sitting in front of the video cards on my Rampage e3 build, but I found it slightly annoying if I wanted to do anything inside the case and I went with a 5.25 bay dual D5 for my R4E build. I had the right fittings to bridge the CPU block to the mobo block on my R3E, but I was lazy and just used tubing and anti-kink coils for my current build.

If I have any complaints about the 800D: I individually sleeved all my cables and it is a tight fit between the mobo tray and side panel, I wish it was 1/4" wider. Also, I would prefer that the bottom of the window was at the divider. Why have the PSU and rad or HDDs visible...?

Ignore the CD case I used to temporarily hold up the divider before I got around to securing it. Also ignore how dirty the case is as I have moved twice and never wiped it down since I got it lol.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...800d-5870x.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...0D-R4Epost.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...7/IMG_0422.jpg

Biff73 October 21, 2012 05:48 AM

Why not consider the NZXT Switch 810?It will fit a 360 & 240mm rad without any modding,its cheaper than than cosmos ii or 800t:bananafunky:

Mena October 21, 2012 07:18 AM

My vote go towards Corsair. Theirs cases are top notch IMHO.

Rassal October 21, 2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff73 (Post 664493)
Why not consider the NZXT Switch 810?It will fit a 360 & 240mm rad without any modding,its cheaper than than cosmos ii or 800t:bananafunky:

I checked it out, but i really don't want a glossy finished case. With 3 kids touching everything, fingermarks is a killer for me... so no glossy case.

Mena October 21, 2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rassal (Post 664503)
I checked it out, but i really don't want a glossy finished case. With 3 kids touching everything, fingermarks is a killer for me... so no glossy case.

But with the non glossy cases you get oily fingerprints that are very hard to wipe off so either way you're boned in that department.

Rassal October 21, 2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mena (Post 664504)
But with the non glossy cases you get oily fingerprints that are very hard to wipe off so either way you're boned in that department.

Always had matte cases, and never got a problem with fingerprints on them. Only got fingerprints with glossy stuff.

Mena October 21, 2012 05:27 PM

You're lucky then.

WhippWhapp October 21, 2012 06:51 PM

Corsair 800D build quality is not the same as Cosmos, the steel panels are flimsy and the powdercoat chips easily.

Anodized, extruded or machined aluminium > powdercoated steel in my books.

Biff73 October 21, 2012 08:54 PM

You can always pick the switch 810 gunmetal version if you don't want a glossy finish