Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default [Vespula vulgaris] Build Log

I can't stop switching my cases. I am a little obsessive over them. :D In the 13 months I have been here I started as a gamer who couldn't care less about his PC. Then one day it started to seem sluggish so I built my own instead of buying prebuilt thanks to the videos from Linus Tech tips wearing his Gecko hat! I came in here asking all kinds of n00b questions as it was my first build in a Corsair 650d. My brother told me to get a big tower cuz in his mind bigger is better! I quickly found myself finding it was way too big and downsized. I went to a Fractal Design Define Mini. Then I discovered the Bitfenix Shinobi and I fell in love and decided to try water cooling. The build turned out to be just...... meh... and had holdups from shipping and this to that and it just didn't go as planned as it was my first water cool. So a few months later NZXT releases their matte black and gunmetal versions of the switch 810. At first I was disgusted with the ultra shiny gloss dust/fingerprint/scratch magnet finish on the original version but I just could not resist the matte black version. I started researching and watching videos and again fell in love with the Switch 810 and it's water cooling potential. I discovered I could have MOAR POWAH! and a super stylish PC with a bunch more research and obsessing over parts.

So here it is. My NZXT Switch 810 Switchup! I hope it is the last for at least 2 years because this is getting ridiculous! Spent way too much but oh well some lucky HWCers got some good sales in the process of me selling off stuff. :D

Here is a list of the hardware and links to where I purchased them. :D

Hardware specs:
---------------
CPU : i5 3570k
Motherboard : MSI Z77 Mpower
Memory : Mushking Blackline Enhanced 4x4GB 1600 CL8
GPU : MSI GTX 670 OC (in current PC)
PSU : Corsair AX750 (in current PC)
Storage : Crucial m4 128gb (in current PC)

Case : NZXT Switch 810 SE Matte Black
Fans : 9x Akasa 140mm x 25mm Viper PWM Fan w/ Hydro Dynamic Bearings

Watercooling specs:
-------------------
CPU Block : Swiftech Apogee HD 4-Port
GPU Block : Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ GTX 670 Ni-Bl
Radiators : Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 420mm , Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 140mm
Pump : Dazmode STORM D5 Vario
Reservoir : XSPC Dual 5.25" Reservoir for One Laing D5 , Alphacool Cape Corp Coolplex Pro 25 LT (just for show) :D
Fittings : Monsoon 16/10mm (ID 3/8" OD 5/8") compression fitting straight Six Pack - Matte Black x2 , Monsoon Angled Matte Black

What I really really really need is recommendations for something to control my fans with. I have no experience with fans and have always just let them run full blast. All my fans for this build are PWM and the radiators are for ultra low speeds. There will be 9-11 fans in here.:D

Anyways here are some pics:

Cut the drive bay so it cannot be seen when the window is on. I figured this was the best way for me to get a nice straight cut with the tools I have. :D

Finished off with the dremel and cleaned up the edges a bit and coloured it in with a sharpie. Ghetto mod FTW! :)

Radiators I chose for this build with silence in mind.

A little something happened to this guy but it is just cosmetic. I'm not into returning stuff :P

I had to drill some holes to mount this rad. Freehand baby!

Test mounting in case while I wait for Akasa Vipers.

Here is a box of more goodies!

I waited for the CPU block roundup done this year and decided on this block for its performance and superior mounting system.

This one because it is SEXY!

Functional Reservoir

... for lighting

The good folks at aquatuning somehow know that I love gummies!

.... and that is all for now! I've got a few packages on the way right now which should be arriving during the week. I still need scrape together some funds to order my MDPC sleeving. I will be going with Shade 19 and Yellow. Buy my stuff from BST to fund this build! :D Cheers!

Last edited by Pabz0r545; June 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old October 15, 2012, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow that's looking awesome, hmm I am only 2-3 hours from you soon, whats your address again??? I might need to borrow a rad or two. Looks great though and maybe we can share some advise or tools when I'm out there as I have some major modding to do as well :)

Keep having fun with the modding
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old October 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks John. Hehe I don't know how much advice I can offer all I can really do is share my blunders along the way. There are many others out there much more experienced then myself but I am glad to share the process.
Old October 15, 2012, 02:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Love the mod to the 5 1/4 bays, and yeah, sharpies are one of our best friends.... ;)

What's the deal with the "4 port" Apogee? Are there actually 4 ports (looks like there might be), and they serve for different flowrates / pressures?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 15, 2012, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks Steve! Not only is the 5 1/4" drive bay mod for aesthetics but I needed to cut the top portion out for the 420 rad to have airflow on the front most fan.

There are 4 ports on the apogee but to be honest I can't answer your question. My guess is just for options on fitting placement. I just bought it because it looks cool and it has one of the easier mounting systems(my raystorm was a pita to mount). It also did very well in the 2012 CPU block roundup found on another site.

Also here is what will be going in there. It will be a black and yellow theme. I chose these colors because these fans have great static pressure and you rarely see a yellow theme build.

Also MDPC Shade 19 and Yellow for the sleeving. I will be re doing all of the wires to custom length.

I will also be painting the tips of these bad boys to imitate a dominator look. I got the last ones in stock. :D

Last edited by Pabz0r545; October 15, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old October 15, 2012, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Excited to see how this turns out. That MPower board is pretty slick.
Old October 15, 2012, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
Excited to see how this turns out. That MPower board is pretty slick.
Thanks. I have some big ideas for this build. Some are already in motion. I have ordered a custom PSU cover which will span the whole bottom of the case hence only a single 140mm radiator in the front. I may use it to mount my fan controller and/or nzxt hue. I have also ordered a custom faceplate for my 4 drive bays for 1 nice clean piece in the front which will secure to the d5 pump res. A custom backplate for the GPU which will feature BIG BANG and Mpower logo. AND a custom boinc fan grill for the 140mm in the rear which will be turned around and used as a fresh air intake.
Old October 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

this looks like a nice build to follow
like the yellow fans and the mobo
for a fan controller how about lamptron FC5 v2
lots of color options with it
I have a few of them they work great
Old October 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey thanks for the fan controller suggestion Father Fuzzy! I like that one because it can display the text in yellow. I have never used a fan controller before. With a 3 way splitter could I for example put 2 or 3 fans onto 1 controller knob? I will have 9 fans in there.
Old October 15, 2012, 07:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

30 watts per channel should be fine