Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2012, 12:35 PM
Rookie

Default Radiator Mounting Motherboard position custom case

Hi all, long time Linus fan, first time Posting.
I've searched around on the internet and there is not a lot of information on a few questions I have about building a custom case.
Just for background this is what I am thinking of doing.
I am building a custom wood case, A. I have access to wood shop materials, and B. Don't have access to metalworking materials or money for custom built metal parts. I am also working on designing a desk where I would attach the computer case to so I can take the tower out to a friends place when needed or to work on it, and have them both on wheels.

So I'm thinking of options for doing watercooling, and the big questions come to, Is there an issue with your GPU waterblocks if you mount them any way other than a traditional mount? I was looking at Swiftech KOMODO-HD6900 as my waterblocks, but that was a while ago and just an example, Here is a picture to illistrate what I mean.

Also I am thinking of putting the radiator outside the case and routing tubing in, like this
Is there any downside to orientating the radiator this way?
Old September 30, 2012, 12:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Aside from maybe having trouble bleeding your blocks and rad, orientation really doesn't matter... with a proper pump.

If you're making a custom wood case, why wouldn't you just choose dimensions that let you fit the rad inside?

good luck. interesting concept.
Old October 1, 2012, 12:19 AM
Rookie

Default Inside rad

I've been debating how I'm going to make the case, and just been toying with the idea of an external rad that I drop down into a wood unit I've designed and then mount it. This would be to give the rad access to cool outside air and reduce the amount of warm air flowing inside the case. At first I was thinking of building a traditional tower with bottom section with hard drives and maybe the power supply and rad, and thought why not jsut remove the rad to reduce the thermals in the case.

I'm operating on the idea that you want push/pull and that the pull should bring cool air in over the rad. I'm still building the capital for my budget, so It's still very much in design process were I got a few ideas going at once while I try my hand at some cad software as well.
Old October 1, 2012, 07:02 AM
Rookie

The radiator airflow could go across the width of the case like a TJ07. Here's an oak case I built with that design:

Old October 2, 2012, 12:11 PM
Rookie

Since I want the case itself to be movable on wheels, I've been going with the idea of making a wider base, and straying from some of the traditional enclosures, My current thought is doing a pyramid. with the motherboard on the bottom, power supply and harddrives in the middle and radiator on top.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotswood View Post
The radiator airflow could go across the width of the case like a TJ07. Here's an oak case I built with that design:
WOW that is a nice looking case you need to post more pics or your Build log if you have one ..
Old October 3, 2012, 10:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
WOW that is a nice looking case you need to post more pics or your Build log if you have one ..
agreed...please sir, can I have sum mo'

Tags
custom case , water cool