Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2008, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I dont see an issue running the PCIe card in the PCIe slot. It is not made ONLY for graphics cards. Obviously you would be better off with a workstation class board, but for basic NAS work your M2A is overkill haha. Looks like a cool box you got going though. Gah I cant wait for my case..... Mr. Friendly.....if you are listening... ship it already!!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old April 21, 2008, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

perhaps. Hmm decisions decision. I think the first step though is to acutally deposit the cheque in my bank account :D. I am sooo lazy.

Old April 21, 2008, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Good call!

MSI Z77A-GD65
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old April 22, 2008, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

so i thought about it. and i can't justify the 514 price tag on the areca radi card. Since dynamic disks as worked for me sofar i decided to go the cheaper software raid route as the machine it's going into has more than enough power. So to start i have ordered.

1. highpoint 2300 4 port PCIe X1 Raid Card
2. 4x Samsung F1 750GB HDD 32MB Cache 8.9ms SATA II

Later on i will be getting another 4 750's for my nas.

Old April 22, 2008, 11:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Cool beans

MSI Z77A-GD65
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
Old April 25, 2008, 10:56 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't get what you want to do with this. If is just going to be a NAS then 4G is prolly 8 times more than necessary. I see the X2 4000+ is just about the cheapest AMD processor you can buy now and 4g costs $40 if you get a deal but if you have some old gear you can re-purpose it should work just fine. I have 4x500G hanging off an antique 1G duron mainboard with 512M RAM and it does everything necessary. Do you intend to multipurpose this as a Torrent client or a folding rig?

Why water cool it? Usually a NAS just gets stuck in the corner of the basement until you fill it up. As reliable as water cooling is I would not want to risk a leak on a box I only look at every six months. It will still need some decent flow through fans to keep all those drive cool so WC is not going to cut down the noise that much. Do you have plans to OC it and use those cycles for something?

The case looks expensive for the task. You can not put 8 drives in it (unless I googled the wrong one) without spreading them all over the place. I would suggest finding a case that is designed for large drive arrays and gives good fan coverage.

Be carefull with the cheap "RAID" cards. Most of them are not real raid cards, even if they say they are. Most companies advertise "hardware RAID" and then just put a BIOS on the card, the CPU still does all the work. Another major concern if you care about the data on these drives is how the card writes the data to disk. Many of these cards have their own special quirks and drives can only be read by the same or similar cards. Running a simple 4x2/8 port controller and software RAID in Linux (or Winblows) will preform as well as these cards. Even if every other piece of equipment in the box fails you can hand the drives off a totally new box and get your data off.

Also, what about a boot drive? I assume you will want to RAID 5 the drives and booting from a RAID 5 can be tricky and dangerous.

I hope I do not sound like a jerk here but it seems you are putting in a lot of time, effort, and money and you might be a little dissappointed if all you get is @2TB of share space on your network.
Old April 25, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

ok to answer some questions here goes.

1. I already own everything but the HD and raid card.
2. I won't be watercooling it in the end.
3. In regards to raid card. I was going to get an areca arc1220 8 port raid card. But since it's a special order item and ncix won't refund me if the card is incompatible with my motherboard and i would rather not spend 520 bucks on a raid to card to find out it doesn't work.
4. I am using it to house my entire movie collection as such i will be using raid 0 so all i really need is a raid card that supports technology.
5. my boot drive is a 36GB Raptor drive.

As for fitting 8 drives, your right by default the max you can cram in there is 6. but i also happen to have a 4 drive nas back plane from my current nas box i can use. thus converting 3 5 1/4 bays into 4 hot swap sata I/II bays.

And as i own all of my dvd's i am putting on it if the drives explode in a fireball of death it's no biggie.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Old April 26, 2008, 12:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sounds perfect.

If you have nothing better to do, post some benches of the raid card when you get the system assembled. I would love to see the CPU ussage on mass write.
Old April 26, 2008, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

will do. when it arrives i have about 900GB to transfer to it. to start.

Old April 26, 2008, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

So i did some more work on this project as i got off my collective lazy ass to transfer some stuff.

First up is the case i will be using. A newish P182 Case.

Next was to install the cdrom drive

Floppy drive, for those pesky raid driver diskettes

Power supply unit.

you probably wondering where that metal sound dampening bracket is. Well the short story is i accidentally sat on it.

Next i transferred the motherboard, cpu and ram into the new tower.

And finally my old but trusty boot drive.

Finally since this mobo was in a water cooled loop i needed to remove the old mounting bracket and reuse the stock hsf for the 4000+. As such i have lots of AS5 compound from my monster case build.

Now all i have to do is play the waiting game. for my new raid card and 4 750GB samsung drives.