Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2014, 08:56 PM

My System Specs

Yup they are the frosted ones by stock. But you can polish any acrylic block. Even the clear ones could use some TLC to bring them to a glass like transparency.

I gave my GPU block another quick polish on the top. This time not washing it off afterward.

Not sure why it took me so long to figure this out. But it is possibe to remove the fan blades from GTs without any tools. Just a heatgun. Slowly heat the front and front-sides of the hub. The glue will slowly let go. Then just pull the hub off. I was doing it this way before but for some reason I was removing the blades w/ the c-clip. Then after I had them off I used the heatgun to remove the hub. Honestly not sure why it didnt click in my brain earlier.

Nibbled one of the other shrouds. Here is a mockup of it. It is the one behind the reservoir.

And speaking of fans....
Old April 11, 2014, 10:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

WOwzer, what's up with the Noctua fan? Did you end up breaking it completely?
Old April 11, 2014, 11:03 AM

My System Specs

Destroyed 2 fans in the attempt to remove the fan blades. I have come to conclusion that it isn't possible for the newer Noctua fans.
Old April 11, 2014, 12:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Destroyed 2 fans in the attempt to remove the fan blades. I have come to conclusion that it isn't possible for the newer Noctua fans.
Heh... I got as far as taking off the label and discovering that it isn't covering anything.... :)

I'm pondering dipping mine into rit with level just slightly below the hub so that the fluid won't affect any of the electrical bits. It would take a few days of flipping it over onto the next edge, but I suspect that might work for most of the blades / case.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old April 11, 2014, 08:41 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh... I got as far as taking off the label and discovering that it isn't covering anything.... :)

I'm pondering dipping mine into rit with level just slightly below the hub so that the fluid won't affect any of the electrical bits. It would take a few days of flipping it over onto the next edge, but I suspect that might work for most of the blades / case.
That sounds like it could be a lot of work. I just wanted to dye the blades myself. The beige frames would match two of my other systems nicely. I just hate the brown blades.

The new formula for Rit doesnt work well anymore from what I have heard. PROsperse is what I use.

Nibbled the last shroud this morning. Mockup of it in place. Once again I think I can see the finish line in sight.

Old April 15, 2014, 10:16 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I see. I will take a look at my fans and see what I can do with them. How thick are your aluminium panels?
Old April 15, 2014, 12:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

some days the lighting is just right. great set.
Old April 15, 2014, 03:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Awesome work Lowfat, love how clean everything looks!

So, does your case have windows on both sides to show off all of your hard work on both the tubing and the wiring?
Old April 15, 2014, 05:20 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
I see. I will take a look at my fans and see what I can do with them. How thick are your aluminium panels?
Some of it is 2mm and some of it is 1.5mm. 2mm is hard to cut by hand so I tried to avoid it where i could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungwirez View Post
some days the lighting is just right. great set.
Now that winter is over my lighting quality has gone way down. It was nice having cloud cover almost every day to get good natural light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartner View Post
Awesome work Lowfat, love how clean everything looks!

So, does your case have windows on both sides to show off all of your hard work on both the tubing and the wiring?
Thanks. The plan is to have windows on both side panels. It will be the last thing I do w/ the case though.

2 days. That is what I am giving myself to finish the case's interior. I now have all the panels screwed in place. I have started to remove all the screws and cut them down to the right length. Tomorrow i will be epoxying them in place. Then comes sanding. The plan is to drop the case parts off at the powder coaters by Thursday.
Old April 17, 2014, 06:00 PM

My System Specs

So my goal was too have the case ready for powdercoating today. However I have misjudged how much work I had remaining . I am truly getting very close though. New goal is after the long weekend.

The first shroud I cut to cover up the radiator mounting screws and the nasty stock aluminum ended up not looking right so I ended up cutting a new one that just covers the entire piece of aluminum (minus where the 5.25" covers snap in to place). Also have started working on flush mounting all the screws. All the screw heads for the cable management have been cut off. All of the scews have also been cut down to length. Used my cordless dremel which I must say is one of my favourite tools I have. I still need to make two more cable management retention bars as I was not happy w/ the way a few of the wires went. Still have to cut down all the standoffs as they are all slightly too long.

The filler I will be using to cover all the cut down standoffs and cable management screws. This stuff was extremely pricey in Canada but it was the only stuff I could find that will hold up @ 350F.

My pump top was the only acrylic I still had not polished and left the coating on the outside. It makes a huge difference.

Tags
csq , ek water blocks , ekwb , grande bleu , haswell , lian li , mdpc-x , mod , pc-a77f , z9pe-d8 ws