Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2013, 10:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think you should leave the caps alone just to be safe unless you find some methods online that works without damaging them in some ways.
Old September 20, 2013, 12:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, unless he apply serious pressure, he cannot damage the caps. He can made them look ughly, true. But not damage. The casing is solid nice aluminium, so... The only one possible physical damage lowfat can do is to soldered cap, it to pull it on ange by pulling out one of his legs. That require surprisingly high force to accomplish. Tough some caps are more prone to this type of damage (Nichicon electrolyte caps), some are pretty sturdy build (Samon and especially their GA line) ... All polymers I encounter and well-made in this regard. I never hear any complaining about them.

He is not some noob that is pushing and kicking on his HW, so I'm pretty confident that he can do it right, w/o any problem.

(even if he do damage them, then he can solder a new cap in the place - provided that he take a photo before, so he know what cap will be need there)

BTW, what kind of method you propose to search for? Every custom painted cap could be done by different ways, using different paints... No, there is probably not any way that "fit them all".
I would probably use normal paint and overpaint the tops and that would be it... if I do it.
(another method come to my mind... an rather extreme one. Trichlorinetylene - that stuff is dangerous, yet it can remove ANY paint - hell, I think it can remove the whole mobo, lol... However it require desoldering the caps one by one and diping them into this and the paint is history in few minutes, the rubber is not damaged by it )

However I won't do that for simple reason - the only way that cap can eradiate heat that it building up in him by currents being drawn, is by it's casing. Therefore any layer more over the nice metal could make the temperature of the cap a higher. How much? Depends on the thermal properties of the paint. Probably not much, yet I still did not like that idea much.
Only cool thing would be to... elox the casings :) With serious bumps on the cap casing surface, the dissipiating area increase and THAT would be more that beneficial. Hell, I would love to do it, if I have the knowhow and stuff :)
That would make me want such way moded caps badly... because anything that keep the cap cooler is more that good for it's life and therefore performance... I just realized that I want to be able to do that :D

Last edited by trodas; September 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old September 20, 2013, 02:41 PM

My System Specs

Acetone is what is generally used to remove the labels from normal bare aluminum caps which is why I suggested using it for the black painted ones. I'll try some mineral spirits first then acetone if it doesn't work. I'll start w/ one of the capacitors that will normally sit hidden behind the GPU.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old September 21, 2013, 08:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Fingers crossed. Good luck.

PS. I never tried to remove the labels from the caps... lol. It is very important for me to know, what cap type and capacity are there, so... But I understand that for design purposes it is necessary...
Old September 21, 2013, 08:34 PM

My System Specs

After being unimpressed w/ the Classified I went back to one of my reference cards. IMO the gains of the Classified aren't worth spending another near $200 on a block and backplate. Nor will the block for it be anywhere near as good looking. I also ProGriipped a bunch of stuff as the pics show. Also shown is my Yate Loon modded PSU. Had to drill out new holes for the fan since the new fan is slightly larger than the stock one. Also had to remove the soundcard. With it installed my Infiniband card wouldn't work. Guess there isn't enough bandwidth on Z87.

Was raining all day so some of the pics could have used more light.

and these two pics are for Luc

Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old September 21, 2013, 09:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That's a bummer about the 780 Classy :(

I had already decided not to go with it but it sad for you...

Thanks for the pictures especially the last one!
Old September 21, 2013, 09:18 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira749 View Post
That's a bummer about the 780 Classy :(
The card is honestly rather ugly inside a case anyways. It is way too large. It sags like no tomorrow and reaching the mounting screws is a royal pain since the card is an inch wider than ATX spec.

I also forgot to mention I successfully delidded the 4670K today. Not sure what is wrong w/ the thermal sensor but it now says I idle @ 13C.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old September 21, 2013, 09:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I also forgot to mention I successfully delidded the 4670K today. Not sure what is wrong w/ the thermal sensor but it now says I idle @ 13C.
Wooot chilly CPU
Old September 22, 2013, 01:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The pictures is still very good. Of course a better light is a better light, yet still - amazing work. I sort of did not understand the components installed. From the top (CPU) it is - a PCIE SSD drive? SoundCard (THX logo)? Then graphic card with watercooling, got it... and the last one is the Infiniband card?

Looking on the last card I come to realize why the letters on the caps do disturb your design. The card is completely black! What do you do to the poor card, lowfat?!

As of the Classy 780 - sorry to hear about that. I quess you have a point with the expensive block... but I sort of hoped for comparing the overclock on air with overclock on watter :D Bummer!
I take it as that the pics of the caps on Classy is then out of the picture too, right?

PS. red sleewing? Looks like interesting combination. But it will fit with the red power button I see there :)
Old September 22, 2013, 07:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas View Post
PS. red sleewing? Looks like interesting combination. But it will fit with the red power button I see there :)
The red sleeving pictures where for me as a request for my next project

Lowfat's Grand Bleu/Shade19 is too awesome to put any other color in it!

Tags
csq , ek water blocks , ekwb , grande bleu , haswell , lian li , mdpc-x , mod , pc-a77f , z9pe-d8 ws