Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2013, 04:18 PM

My System Specs

Finally got the board.

Old September 18, 2013, 04:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I cannot stop being amazed, how much double processor boards lowfat gather. For a always single core user it is somewhat remarkable :)
Regardless, the build is looking pretty cool :)
Old September 19, 2013, 08:43 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas View Post
I cannot stop being amazed, how much double processor boards lowfat gather. For a always single core user it is somewhat remarkable :)
Regardless, the build is looking pretty cool :)
This one is down to one CPU now and will remain so. Need the overclocking capabilities.
Old September 19, 2013, 09:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Are you going to have some Gold accent in the sleeves?
Old September 19, 2013, 09:23 AM

My System Specs

No. I'll be removing all the gold from the board.
Old September 19, 2013, 12:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
No. I'll be removing all the gold from the board.
I see. I'll be watching closely, as usual
Old September 19, 2013, 03:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

I must admit that I hate the gold and silver shiny colors on stuff. However even I prefer another colors, this gold there looks with the black rest somewhat good.

I understand that it will probably not ge along with the overal design colors I was just wanted to say that this board is looker, even with the gold on it.

Quote:
This one is down to one CPU now and will remain so. Need the overclocking capabilities.
Still, most of your builds seems to have double CPU mainboards, witch is rare and I never had something like this. Dunno what this is good for, but for massive parallel operations it must be damn quick

Overclocking? We see then how this turns out...
(when I have mobo working stable, I overclock anything... but as soon as it get unstable, then I would settle for just anything (stock, cough, stock now...) - just to get it stable)

akira749 -
Quote:
What are they complaining about? Should I stay away? I read SkyMtl review and he loved the card...
Of course. Becuase the review sample got Samsung rams Sadly, there is no guarantee what rams you get, once the card come to you :)

lowfat - any chance for close up pic of the caps, once the heatsink will be gone? (I assuming watercooling and trying to beat some scores, lol )

Last edited by trodas; September 19, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old September 19, 2013, 04:27 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas View Post
lowfat - any chance for close up pic of the caps, once the heatsink will be gone? (I assuming watercooling and trying to beat some scores, lol )
I guess so.

Maybe you can answer this question. I want to remove the lettering from the capacitors on this motherboard. Do you think I'll be able to use acetone to remove the lettering w/o affecting the black 'paint' on the caps?
Old September 19, 2013, 05:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I guess so.

Maybe you can answer this question. I want to remove the lettering from the capacitors on this motherboard. Do you think I'll be able to use acetone to remove the lettering w/o affecting the black 'paint' on the caps?
Acetone is the main ingredient of nail polish remover right? I'd be more concerned about the acetone possibly coming in contact with and affecting the motherboard PCB.

That said... if we're talking about the same product here, I've seen what it does to automotive paint and I wouldn't want it anywhere near my expensive PC hardware.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old September 20, 2013, 01:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

lowfat -
Quote:
any chance for close up pic of the caps

I guess so.
Thank you for considering it. I'm just curious what eVGA used :)

Quote:
Uhm, I must admit that I never purposedly removed important information (read - paint) from any cap This is... almost like sacrilege

But I'm quite sure that once the paint on the caps give up, it would be complete - eg. letters AND the black paint too, leaving the caps shining with their aluminium casings...
But they usually use quality paint (remember, the cap is guaranted to withstand 105°C for extended period of time) and I have my doubts that it can be cleared with acetone.

Therefore I would gently try it on some almost "hidden" cap somewhere on the mobo and IF and AS soon, as the black start diminishing (you see black on the rag, dipped in acetone, if you have clean and white one for this), then stop. Or you have a "nice shiny top of the cap", witch did not suit your purposes at all.

Hence before acetone, I would try less aggressive stuff - technical spirit is what I use all the time, but hardly it can take down a paint... But maybe you are in luck and these caps are painted with something that can give up?
Also try technical gas on it - some stickers go with spirit, some go with gas.
Acetone and other stuff is the last resort that I use.

Good luck and carefully, please.
The mobo looks good even as it is... with shiny caps won't look as good.
(maybe rethink this idea, before you end with nice shiny white caps tops... but you can paint them back, true ...but... that is like conterfreighting caps...! )

sswilson -
Quote:
Acetone is the main ingredient of nail polish remover right?
Not sure, but something like that it is there... But once you say that, then it might be another lowfat try to make the caps completely black. Because I have my doubts if acetone alone will work. But I have no experience with custom painted caps. I never had one in my hands, much less to try defile it this way

Quote:
I'd be more concerned about the acetone possibly coming in contact with and affecting the motherboard PCB.
On the other hand, that is where I'm pretty sure that it won't hurt. That is because I already used acetone on some mainboard cleaning and it was w/o a problem. That ie because the mainboard PCB is protected with nice sturdy colorless paint that can withstood plenty of abuse.
I also noticed that car paint, when it is not burned, then can go off even with spirit. But mainboards are much more protected!

Tags
csq , ek water blocks , ekwb , grande bleu , haswell , lian li , mdpc-x , mod , pc-a77f , z9pe-d8 ws