Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2008, 08:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

So the loop is complete, here it is before my first live run, I made sure not to do too much, didn't want to anger those first-boot gremlins.

Messy, oh noes.

Its running, and I am very pleased, I brought my idle temps down from 65+(mid 70's when my room was warm) to the 40's. I think theres a good deal more cooling power in this loop, but I am betting that I didn't install the gpu sink very well, may do a remount when I have the time, but I don't think I will, since there is next to no delta from idle-load. Under GPU gaming load I was runing only 3 degrees higher, so thats a good thing I'd say.

Desktop shot, showing my new temps.

This whole thing has been a lot simpler than I ever could have expected it to be, watercooling really isn't the big scary beast a lot of people view it as, took my time, asked those with teh skills(thanks Cptn Vortex especially) and I am happy. But now I think I need to eliminate even more noise from my case, been test fitting to see if I can shove another rad into the drive bay of my case, I think with a little....persuasion in the form of a cutting tool I could fit another MCR220, or if I don't feel like mangling the case, are there any good single-fan rads? Those thermochill singles look good.
Old April 15, 2008, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Just to let you know the res does not have to at the highest point in the system. If the rest of the loop is air tight then it wont over flow no matter how much fluid is above it.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old April 15, 2008, 09:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Even so, filling/draining was a royal pain in the backside with that res, t-line ftw!
Old April 15, 2008, 09:15 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Good job. Now keep a close eye on those connections for leaks.
Old April 15, 2008, 09:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Running 30+ hours without a leak, and I've got paper towels under all my connections, I'm almost tempted to say I did it right:).
Old April 15, 2008, 09:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You just may have. Personnally, I always keep a close eye (daily) on the reservoir level. It is normal that the level becomes lower with time due to evaporation - but a sudden drop in 24 hours spells leak.
Old April 15, 2008, 09:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I intend to watch it for the first few weeks, and of course check daily, I really really do NOT need this computer to die on me. My other machine has proven to be useless for anything more than what I built it for(torrent box).

Thanks all for the suggestions/comments.
Old April 15, 2008, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default filling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckleBrother View Post
Even so, filling/draining was a royal pain in the backside with that res, t-line ftw!
Yes the filling part for me was a pain too- trying to get all the air out the tubes took a long time and I just resorted to raising the integrated res/rad above the block to get the big air pockets out quickly and then let it run for while after that. Assembling isnt too bad.

As for leaks 7/16th tubing on 1/2inch barbs is a squeeze so its unlikely to leak- unless youve cracked barbs or seals. Heating the ends of tubing works well- the tubing slips on and then contracts onto the barb making a nice seal.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old April 16, 2008, 12:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

So now shes fully up, so I figured it was time for me to take a crack at cable management, which is a little sad as this case is not exactly friendly with that sort of thing.

Anyways, here are some photos of the end result.

The final product, looks okay but could be better. Also a nice reflection of my sexy feet.

And heres behind my front panel, tis a good place to run/hide cables in this case.

Side panel, again, a forest of wires:

No side panel, my sata cables are a huge mess:

She lives:

I made a mistake though, I angered the first boot gremlins by putting on my side panel prematurely, turns out I forgot to plug in my video card, genius! And sadly, atm the messiest thing in the whole case is my watercooling loop, but I dont mind because I love the look of the green tubing running everywhere.
Old April 16, 2008, 02:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Install your drives the other way around, with the wires coming from the other side panel. Less messy.