Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2009, 05:47 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safearus View Post
Isn't it basically propane?
I'm thinking Naptha ( Napthaline?)
Old August 18, 2009, 08:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 of 7 View Post
I'm thinking Naptha ( Napthaline?)
Yep , bang on .

-----

Naptha , ( aka "white gas"/VM&P naptha/coleman camp fuel) is a petroleum distillate of the paraffin family , consisting of a mixture of both light (c6-c9) and medium (c10-c12) aliphatic hydrocarbons.

Now while 'propane' is the same family , white gas is a mix of the hydrocarbons from 'hexane' past 'decane'......white gas can also be called straight-run-gasoline.

On the same token , 'kerosene' is a mix of the hydrocarbons from c6 to c16.......

-------

Now using naptha really is a last resort...there are several reasons to avoid it , from materials compatability to the sheer fire danger....

We'll see how it pans out tho.

Last edited by BrainEater; August 18, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old August 18, 2009, 10:11 AM
MVP
F@H

lol, what an absolutely epic thread.....WTG BrainEater...this things a monster...

EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard $80 + Qualitas 73GB 10k SCSI $30
Old August 18, 2009, 11:47 AM
Allstar

How do the properties of methyl hydrate stack up for this purpose?
Old August 18, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
The 25 liter price for Anhydrous IPA is 750$
Is 25 liters enough? I'm willing to throw $50 in towards getting a pail.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old August 18, 2009, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

@ 3 of 7 :

Methyl Hydrate is methanol. It's about 99% pure so it's about the same (conduction wise) as the 99% Iso we tried.

@ MisterLarry :

Thx for the offer a lot , it won't be needed tho ! (keep readin)

------------

Woooo Hooooo !

I spent a good part of the day researching potential liquids that will suit this application (for about the fifth time).....hydrocarbons ,fluorocarbons , hydrofluorocarbons,chlorofluorocarbons,brominated fluorocarbons,etc , etc ,etc......

Sheesh I went through about 150 chemicals......this would be so easy if I could just drop the 1000$ a liter on fluorinert......most prime choice liquids are in the hundred+ dollars a liter category.

My work appears to have paid off tho , even though I had to come full circle.

I found Anhydrous Isopropanol under the heading of 'degreasers'......

99.8+ % pure .....and the best part : it's actually 10 bucks less than I paid for the 99% stuff (125$ for 5 gals) , and it's available here in Calgary.A valuable lesson about 'alternate sourcing' if I ever saw it !

I'll be picking up 4l to run a test as soon as I can.

Old August 18, 2009, 06:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

By looking at that "datasheet" it looks like that should work for your Brain, but we'll have to see how it goes for you. It looks like its safe for plastic and non-corrosive which are pluses.
Old August 19, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nice work Ross, that is awesome!
Old August 19, 2009, 02:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thx Zac .....If any Iso is gonna work this stuff will.

I've had to 'special order' it but no biggie , Active electronics is takin care of it.....my test sample will be here in a week or two.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
.... It looks like its safe for plastic and non-corrosive which are pluses.
Yes , thats why I really wanted to stick with Iso , the whole thing was built for it specifically (materials compatability wise) ...I've already tested the majority of the materials personally with Iso.....

-----

The thing that burns me is this : I could fill that sucker with 30 $ worth of gasoline and it would work first time.It's only when I try to make safety important that the cost increases exponentially.....

On the 'workability' VS cost scale , Isopropanol seems to be best , assuming of course the anhydrous stuff actually works.(it should)

------------

I am in process of rebuilding the machine again.....Everything has been fully cleaned with fresh Iso.There is no evidence of any degradation anywhere.

Digital thermometer installed on the pump ;

-------

I am taking the front panel apart to clean up this mess :

--------

I am working on the top now.I've decided to just work with the original top , rather than totally redoing it.Here's what I'm doing to it :

-Lengthwise shortening so it won't catch on the case anymore.
-VGA connector cutout.
- Handles.
--

Old August 19, 2009, 02:52 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Safety was and should remain your primary concern and design requirement.

I'm glad to know you're going forward with this monster. I probably won'y make it for v.2, but if there's a way I can help, let me know.