Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2009, 08:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
your new Buckley's Mixture - Cooling Solution ;)
Good news BrainEater! There's no doubt that this stuff will taste bad, but it sounds like it might be awfully good for you lol.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old August 7, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yea It smelled up the workshop pretty bad......

Looks like everything survived tho !

Good results for the world's first kerosene submerged computer !

-------

Unfortunately , I can't just use kerosene , the melting point isnt low enough.....

I'll have to find some low bp 'white gas' (aka straight-run-gasoline ) If I decide to go this route.

I'm going to inquire about pure n-heptane , and I'm also going to prepare a small sample of anhydrous isopropanol to try....

Now that we know it's purely a conductance issue , it's down to finding or making a liquid that will work.

Old August 7, 2009, 09:38 AM
Allstar

It was suggested earlier to use oil from a transformer, I know the older ones were laced with PCB's but I wonder what they use now?
You may not have to re-invent the wheel.
Old August 7, 2009, 10:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Great news! Did you test the MBs we were using in the new mixture or do you fear it may wreck em?
Old August 7, 2009, 10:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 of 7 View Post
It was suggested earlier to use oil from a transformer, I know the older ones were laced with PCB's but I wonder what they use now?
You may not have to re-invent the wheel.
Meh.

I guess you did'nt know this ,but.....

Not only have I already done an oil-filled computer , but I (AFAIK) created the very first oil cooled ,actual computer case....before Puget systems , before hardcore computers.....

Please see here : Submersion : Project thinktank - [H]ard|Forum

Note the date.

Alternately , you can buy the book : 'PC modding for dummies'.There's a pic of thinktank 1 in there.

The liquid I used then was Midel 7131 , a non-toxic , biodegradable transformer fluid.

Transformer fluids are not capable of withstanding -70c , hence the last 18 months of redesign for thinktank 2 : to run liquids that ARE capable......

-------------

You didn't watch the video very closely did yah ?

That's the very same mobo we used on friday....(p5k #2)

Last edited by BrainEater; August 7, 2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old August 7, 2009, 12:02 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Video didnt work so I couldnt see what was goin on. Glad it works, whens the next attempt?
Old August 7, 2009, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ah crap.....

I'll upload a video in a different codec....the one I posted works in VLC....

-----

I'm waiting for a response from Chemfax regarding anhydrous Isopropanol / hexane/ etc.....

I'd really prefer to use anhydrous IPA , because the alternative , hexane/white gas/(basically gasoline) will require more fabrication even if the silicone will survive it.....the safety issues are much more important......every single thing will require full-on inert atmosphere.....

So I can't say when attempt #2 will happen , only that it will.

Old August 7, 2009, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

ok.

Try this one :

Kerosene submersion

-----

If anyone can't get the video , PM me I'll send you the link to the raw avi.

Old August 7, 2009, 01:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It works for me, i love how the first thing i see in the scene is a hand placing a bottle infront of it with the big DANGER words on at the bottom of it. Hope you're being careful all these times
Old August 7, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Oh man yea , you know it.....

Isopropanol , and even kerosene , is pretty tame on the fire scale , but if I use hexane/heptane/gasoline , we are definitely into the 2nd-to-top category of safety......the top category being 'ethers'....