Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2008, 01:56 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Im still trying to picture what you are even doing. :o
Old July 16, 2008, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Hehe .

The only time I have mental instability is when I'm in stupid Calgary traffic.

Thanks , a little luck won't hurt.

Traffic in Calgary ? Dont ever move to Toronto or Montreal.....

Amazing project !!!!!

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old July 16, 2008, 02:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Ah no....

The pump shaft will be coming out of the top of the dewar.The belt assy/motor are completely external.

I have yet to decide on bearings.

since you're hardcore to the max, magnetic bearings

:D
Old July 17, 2008, 02:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ok.....

I staged a picture to help explain the whole pump/dewar assembly :

As far as the pump goes , picture the bottom 1/4 of that large copper pipe perforated with 1/2" holes.The prop inside , is just above that.
The 2 x 3/4" lines go inside one of the large stainless braided pipes ( vacuum insulation ) , then attach to the glass tank on the other side (coolant in lines).

The top of the shaft will get a support , and a belt pully.

The motor housing will bolt to the outside of the keg , getting the other belt pully.

--------

During operation , that keg assy (dewar) will have about 20 litres of isopropanol in it , as well as several pounds of dry ice.Cold iso is pumped from the bottom of the keg , to the glass tank.

The warm return iso will just gravity feed back into the top of the keg .

-----

While I do like the idea of magnetic bearings , it's simply not required.I will probably use teflon slip rings, although I'm still debating.

Old July 17, 2008, 10:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Are magnetic bearings really a plausible option? I do not mean an infinite budget, infinite time kind of option. Could you really buy or build some for the kind of money you have already paid out for this project?
Old July 18, 2008, 07:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

Good question.

I hav'nt looked into it really , and I'd need to ,to answer that.Might be possible to find 'em in something else and mod it , etc.

Like I say though , they are not required.This rig will probably never run more than a few hours at a time , and maintenance teardown will be easy , so replacing bearings on the pump won't be an issue.

If I can't find actual bearings to fit my needs , I'll use teflon rings.They'll wear out , but so what.

---------

[rant]

Man , Dow Corning has terrible customer service.So far , so do thier distributors ( although this could be a trickledown effect from Dow itself).

I've sent out about 10 different emails over the last 3 weeks ,to 3 different people.No response at all.mebbie 3 weeks isnt enough time to look up one product.

[/rant]
Old July 18, 2008, 08:16 AM
MVP

At first when I saw this thread, I thought, "Ahhhh, so that's what happened to the Striker mobo you are RMA'ing!"

But now I see this is still a work in progress. Looking very cool so far, you have mad skillz! Can't wait to see how cool she runs!

Any idea of a completion time? Think you can make it by end of summer?

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old July 18, 2008, 08:28 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Are you sure the pump you will build will generate enough pressure? I mean, usually a pump impeller has a very close tolerance with the casing. Now the propeller you bought is fine, but will the blades be close enough to the tbing inner wall to create pressure?
Old July 18, 2008, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've gotta see this thing in operation. Go big or go home! Looking forward to it.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old July 18, 2008, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Are you sure the pump you will build will generate enough pressure? I mean, usually a pump impeller has a very close tolerance with the casing. Now the propeller you bought is fine, but will the blades be close enough to the tbing inner wall to create pressure?
no.I'm not sure.

However, I think I might build a test pump , from steel , (so I can do all the welding etc thats required) , and find out.

--------------

I have no idea on completion.It all boils down to cash basically.Right now I'm trying to solve my silicone issue....