Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2009, 06:48 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Whoa. Nice gap filling and major faying surface sealing indeed! I'm really surprised by those rods.
Old May 29, 2009, 08:27 PM
MVP
F@H

lol to the sex joke...

braineater inspired me to go out today and buy a angle grinder...luckly CT had the jobmate one on sale for 17$ bring it home and guess what....the stupid wheel holder wouldn't open....I bent the wrench trying to open it lol (hope they take it back)

I feel like braineater should go back edit his first post to include something like don't try this at home....
Old May 30, 2009, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

If I've inspired you to get an angle grinder , I hope I can inspire you to use it safely :

-#1 rule with all power tools : safety glasses !! even better :a face shield.

-Grinders are 2 handed tools ! never , never ,never use it with one hand.I ain't kidding , I've fired people for this.

-Be very careful about getting the correct speed wheels for your grinder...I've seen what happens when you put a wheel not rated for the correct RPM onto a grinder : It explodes.....I've also seen the ambulance taking the guy to the hospital for said mistake...

-Wear gloves , and not just crappy gardening gloves , a grinder will go through those like it aint there.Best to invest in some 2 layer welding gloves.

-You might notice the 'guard' has been removed from my grinder.This is only because the wire brush doesnt work with it on.Don't remove the guards.

--------

Good luck , play safe !

-------

I'll probably burn a few more of those welding rods today just to experiment with em...See what kinda welds I can get....I'f I had known these rods worked so well , I'd have done the other stainless welding myself.

Old May 30, 2009, 09:22 AM
Allstar

The timing of your last post couldn't have been better. I was grinding rust off the tie-rails of my truck box and hooked an edge and it pulled the grinder ( with a rubber sanding pad) into a space that was smaller than the pad could fit into. I couldn't find all the pieces, my dog brought me this last night.
Attached Images

Last edited by 3 of 7; May 31, 2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old May 30, 2009, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

off topic but don't tell your insurance company what your doing that's classed as hazardous waste and they will freak and put your premium through the roof.
one of my early business had to deal with hazardous and biological waste and the sh*t is not cheap. you need fire suppression system. well that's what your insurance company will demand.
but very cool man
Old May 30, 2009, 11:12 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
off topic but don't tell your insurance company what your doing that's classed as hazardous waste and they will freak and put your premium through the roof.
one of my early business had to deal with hazardous and biological waste and the sh*t is not cheap. you need fire suppression system. well that's what your insurance company will demand.
but very cool man

lol that's *if* he could get insured lol

and yes to the safety gear I always wear goggles and gloves (though I could probably get some better ones lol)
Old May 30, 2009, 12:21 PM
HaDeS

I grind with one hand alla time :P
Old May 30, 2009, 12:25 PM
HaDeS

They sell spray paint that sticks to that stuff at hot tub retailers... you might wanna paint the areas where the silicone is so ya dont see it? Just a thought mate. Buff it with some emory cloth where ya want the paint to stick... yeh don't need to but it helps a bit.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hehe....

I F!$@#&! hate the one hand grinding thing.It's yer life.

--------

Actually , the plan is to silicone on some aluminum trim....no paint required.

-----

Glad yah didn't get hurt with that 3 of 7.....those things are nasty when they go.
-----

EDIT : whats hazardous waste ? Isopropanol ? nah.....it's pure , nothing wastish about it.
Old May 30, 2009, 01:08 PM
MVP

even with the lowly dremel I use goggles, a filter mask (just one of the cheap disposable ones), i'd use nitrile gloves too...but it makes my hands sweaty, and it's 2 handed operation at all times. Object is well clamped to worksurface (an old as all heck picnic table)
Closed Thread