Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2009, 06:57 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

This is an amazing project, really puts the special water cooling case/system I was thinking about to shame.

I really want to see this finished!
Old January 6, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thx guys !!

---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmo View Post
Just curious though, I've never worked with copper pipe, but can you not anneal it for ease of working? I've always annealed aluminum sheet and whatnot before bending or hammering, possible in your case albeit too late?
Yep....It is actually already annealed...("soft copper" ) . It's just thick ( "k type") , which makes it hard to bend with any finesse....

The other big issue , is the nature of the 'compound' bends.....getting the curve in one direction is no problem, but as you start to bend the 2nd curve , you run out of something to bend against.....

No big whoop , it's done now !!

Old January 12, 2009, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ok.

I have completed a good portion of 'Operation-clean-inbetween-the-tanks'.

-----

Step 1 - Mod my vacuum.I need a mini-Vac to clean out the metal bits that made their way into the seam :

----

Step 2 - Inject distilled water via the front inlet ;

----

----

I filled and emptied the front portion only , 3 times yesterday , and it managed to wash some but not all of the watermark off the front.During that process , it was unavoidable that water made it into the side gaps....I let it dry overnight.

There was a noticable 'line' where the water got onto the sides....despite my best efforts the entire inner gap was dirty.

Sooooooo today I cleaned the entire tank-to-tank-gap :

-------

It's currently drying and full of condensation , so I have no pic of it at this stage.....however , it looks awesome so far....nearly spotless.....the watermark is still there kinda , but it's even less visible now.

I may decide , upon further inspection tomorrow , to completely wash it again.

Going well so far.....

Old January 12, 2009, 01:48 PM
Allstar

Exciting stuff, you're almost ready to go!
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old January 12, 2009, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am glad that I figured out how to keep getting notified via email I don't want to miss a thing :)
Old January 12, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

yeah, this thing is sweet.. and its getting even better as it gets closer.. aka i can finally figure out what he's been talking about by looking at the pictures. i feel like a little kid again.. oo look at all the pretty pictures, i don't understand it, but pretty!
Old January 12, 2009, 05:35 PM
Allstar

So, even with vaccuum between the glass plates, isn't there a big change of ice forming between them? Are you going to use a desiccant to dry the air?
Old January 13, 2009, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Actually , there is no vacuum between the tanks.The gap will be filled with dry nitrogen.Condensation will not be an issue.

The only piece that will be vacuum insulated is the coolant resevoir (the big keg).

Old January 13, 2009, 11:00 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Actually , there is no vacuum between the tanks.The gap will be filled with dry nitrogen.Condensation will not be an issue.

The only piece that will be vacuum insulated is the coolant resevoir (the big keg).

Now I remember LOL!
Old January 13, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

OK....

I've got a pic of the tank today..

----

As you can see there are still some water/CuSO4 marks ,but they are going away , so I think I will keep washing.I'm filling it with distilled water right now.

-----------

I bought some foams today.

I got the deluxe (not the shit you get at home despot) (( Armorflex ? )) copper tube insulation , as well as some test pieces of the backplate/filler material :

----

Here's the insulation profile :

--

I have also set up some 'Materials tests'......I need to know how these 2 closed cell foams react to both iso and the 2 silicones I'm using.......

----

Once the silicone test samples have a week to cure , they are going into Iso as well....

----

Last edited by BrainEater; January 13, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
Closed Thread