Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2008, 10:42 PM
MVP

Talk about edge of seat!

This is gonna be epic.
Old November 23, 2008, 09:50 AM
MVP

Anyone seen the latest issue of MaximumPC magazine? There is a review of an oil cooled PC, the first ever to mass produced.

It's called the Reactor, coming from a company called Hardcore Computer, it wieghts in at 110lbs and is completely priprietary custom.

Braineater and this thread is the first thing I thought of when I saw the Reactor. Of course, nothing like this build, but still has some eye catching ideas and worth a look from anyone watching this thread. You never know, what you may see in the Reactor might give you and idea or two on your own build.

It's up on their home page, here:

Home

It's in late stages of development, with a few bugs and issues still. The amazing thing is that they will mass produce these things, prices starting around $3600 USD.

It looks OK I guess, but what I really like about it is the fact that they have departed from just about all standards set for ATX, and damn near every piece and screw is custom made. Parts of it really have an aircraft quality look to it. This is a drawback for those that may want to upgrade things down the road, but Hardcore assues that they will sell, and even install, upgraded parts for this beast.

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's

Last edited by Lithotech; November 23, 2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old November 23, 2008, 11:18 PM
Rookie

I immediately thought of this post too Lithotech when I saw the article in MaximumPC!

anxiously awaiting updates......
Old November 23, 2008, 11:56 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_hawk View Post
Talk about edge of seat!

This is gonna be epic.
Exactly what I was thinking!
Holy Toledo.
Attached Images

WC Loop: DD Cpx-Pro | HWL 240 Xtreme | D-Tek V2
Old November 24, 2008, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hehe , that's such a funny pic.

------

I'm sorry I have no update today.I've done a lot of work , but no pics......I'm just going over things ( specifically pump mounts/enclosures) in my head.....

I can tell you this :

I won't be doing vacuum jackets on the piping.It makes more sense to use nitrogen insulation for the plumbing . The main coolant resevoir will be the only vacuum component.

------

I've seen the 'reactor'.Probably the day it came out on the 'webs.I do keep up on submersion cooling....

It's nice work to be sure.

I'm of the opinion , that anyone that would seriously consider a submersion rig for 24/7 operation , could (and should be able to ) build it themselves for a lot less than 3600$ US.

Old November 24, 2008, 09:48 PM
Top Prospect

"Hehe , that's such a funny pic. " Unquote: BrainEater

Dude, congrats on the project. I didn't mean that comment in a derogatory state.
What you're do'in there, is Stellar!

Please remember though, that all the different components, that make up your build, are all gonna expand and contract at different rates, based on temps. All the different materials that make up a board, are going to expand and contract, at different rates.
(especially if you drop below Zero)

If you were to take the system to that state, and leave it there.
You'd be fine.

Chances are though, that isn't gonna happen; Not for 24/7. Not for a consumer level system.

You should join the Army, Navy ,Marines; Tell 'em your idea.

WC Loop: DD Cpx-Pro | HWL 240 Xtreme | D-Tek V2
Old November 25, 2008, 12:08 AM
Allstar

Wow, my eyes are burnin'.. I just saw this thread for the first time this evening ( I'm new here) and have been glued to it for the whole 42 pages.... ( Minus an hour or so where I was laughing my ass off at the "Rendered" thread.)
Well done lad, both innovative and professionally executed.
Can't wait till the filling/benching begins!
Old November 25, 2008, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks guys !

------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk_d View Post
Please remember though, that all the different components, that make up your build, are all gonna expand and contract at different rates, based on temps. All the different materials that make up a board, are going to expand and contract, at different rates.
(especially if you drop below Zero)
Yessir.

Thermal contraction will be an issue at the -70ish this rig will run at.A good portion of the materials , from the borosilicate glass , to the entirely stainless steel pump , were spec'd with this in mind.

Despite my efforts , stuff might still fail from it.We are gonna find out !

Old November 25, 2008, 07:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

So been to this thread before, quickly glanced over the last post and left. I thought this was about water cooling and it didnít spark my interest, any way didnít have much to do last night so had a look from the start of the thread (that was about 10:00PM),... so I woke up late this morning after reading this till 2:00AM (luckily I work weekends). Someone used the term EPIC and it surly is, they also use the terms crazy and genius and I think you sir are both . Iíll definitely be checking on this on a daily from now on.
Old November 25, 2008, 05:20 PM
MVP

wow awesome braineater/ just spent atleast half a day getting caught up 2 snuff up in this thread 2

did u ever do any work 4 b rock b4 i have family friends that work there/ gotta luv the grasshopper

im tunned/be safe