Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2008, 04:54 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Aaah, see with a sketch it's so much clearer and easier to understand.

Yeah.

Right.

I'm still lost.

Old October 16, 2008, 04:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Aaah, see with a sketch it's so much clearer and easier to understand.

Yeah.

Right.

I'm still lost.

Heh... you're not the only one.....

I'm looking at that thinking like the non-car guy opening the hood when something goes wrong.... "well... that's where the oil goes.... and that's where I top off the wiper fluid..." :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 16, 2008, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

nice sketch.

noobie question, a vacuum, is it normally air ? Why pump it ?

and dry ice ? wont it deplete at one point ?

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old October 17, 2008, 01:22 AM
MVP
F@H

I'm trying to follow the N2, I see it exiting the tall keg in 5 places but I see nothing going into the N2 keg (as in only outflow and not a circuit). The bottom line looks as thought it is pulled out by the pump and mixed with the alcohol and then pumped into the Think Tank. Wouldn't this suction cause it to suck into the keg at the 4 places the N2 keg is directly attatched to the Think Tank?

You know more than me obviously so could you help me understand the flow of the 4 N2 fittings on the Think Tank? The rest I understand but I'm totally lost there.
Old October 17, 2008, 02:09 AM
Top Prospect

Vacuum stuff is for insulation, like fiberglass (:o). N2 is to take up space of less useful gases thereby keep things from exploding? Dry ice cools the coolant. Actual cooling is done by stuff that goes boom hence the need for the N2. I guess dry ice is more for convenience? Something that can cool the coolant from inside the vacuum insulation? (possibly cheaper then other things)
If that stuff is right the system is more like liquid N2 cooled rigs used in competition then something to play games on. Large volume of N2 and unknown rates of exhaust may allow for sustained operation. (sustained operation, heh)

Late night piecing together possibly wrong information :P

Last edited by joeperson; October 17, 2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old October 17, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Heheh....I wasn't sure if that sketch would help.

You've basically got it joeperson.

It's a complex system , there are several sub-systems that are all operating at the same time.It will probably help if we look at each of these sub-systems individually.These are the sub-systems :

a) The cooling system . (shown as IPA flow on the diagram)
b) The vacuum system.
c) The nitrogen system.
d) The venting system.

-------

a) The cooling system operates the same way a watercooling loop works.There is a pump and a resevoir (the big keg) , coolant lines , fittings etc...Instead of a 'waterblock' however , there's just a glass tank the entire computer goes into . There is no 'Radiator' in this loop:The cooling is provided by dry ice dumped into the resevoir.

The other obvious difference from a watercooling loop , is that , It's not water , It's Isopropanol.

So far so good ?

Ok......

b) The vacuum system.
Joeperson is correct , the vacuum system is just a form of insulation.
The entire cooling system will be very cold (dry ice is -78.5 c) , so insulation is a must....now I could just wrap everything in 6" of fiberglass or foam insulation , but what fun would that be ?

The 'resevoir' and 'coolant lines' in our cooling loop will be vacuum insulated.

----------

c) The nitrogen system .The nitrogen is supplied from a pressurized tank.
The nitrogen system has 3 functions ; we'll only look at 2 for the moment.

-It provides 'insulation' to the other two pieces of our coolant loop , the glass tank , and the pump.
-It provides an inert atmosphere for the glass tank and pump.IPA won't burn without oxygen.

-----

d) The vent system.

The vent system is primarily a safety thing.
With all the co2 produced from the dry ice , and the n2 from the glass tank , the possibility exists , it'll displace the oxygen in the whole area , and well, we need that to breath , so it's gotta be vented outside.
Before it's vented tho , we need to remove any isopropanol vapor from it.This is what the small keg does.it's basically a condenser.

-------

Another question I saw :

Yes the dry ice depletes.This rig is not designed for continous operation , just short runs.

Old October 17, 2008, 10:46 AM
MVP
F@H

where do you even get dry ice? I've seen it a bunch of times but have never seen it in my IGA lol:)
Old October 17, 2008, 11:02 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Praxair or Air Liquide, usually about $1.50 a lb.
Old October 17, 2008, 01:24 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Actually this explantion makes more sense. Well done. Still is a monster though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Heheh....I wasn't sure if that sketch would help.

You've basically got it joeperson.

It's a complex system , there are several sub-systems that are all operating at the same time.It will probably help if we look at each of these sub-systems individually.These are the sub-systems :

a) The cooling system . (shown as IPA flow on the diagram)
b) The vacuum system.
c) The nitrogen system.
d) The venting system.

-------

a) The cooling system operates the same way a watercooling loop works.There is a pump and a resevoir (the big keg) , coolant lines , fittings etc...Instead of a 'waterblock' however , there's just a glass tank the entire computer goes into . There is no 'Radiator' in this loop:The cooling is provided by dry ice dumped into the resevoir.

The other obvious difference from a watercooling loop , is that , It's not water , It's Isopropanol.

So far so good ?

Ok......

b) The vacuum system.
Joeperson is correct , the vacuum system is just a form of insulation.
The entire cooling system will be very cold (dry ice is -78.5 c) , so insulation is a must....now I could just wrap everything in 6" of fiberglass or foam insulation , but what fun would that be ?

The 'resevoir' and 'coolant lines' in our cooling loop will be vacuum insulated.

----------

c) The nitrogen system .The nitrogen is supplied from a pressurized tank.
The nitrogen system has 3 functions ; we'll only look at 2 for the moment.

-It provides 'insulation' to the other two pieces of our coolant loop , the glass tank , and the pump.
-It provides an inert atmosphere for the glass tank and pump.IPA won't burn without oxygen.

-----

d) The vent system.

The vent system is primarily a safety thing.
With all the co2 produced from the dry ice , and the n2 from the glass tank , the possibility exists , it'll displace the oxygen in the whole area , and well, we need that to breath , so it's gotta be vented outside.
Before it's vented tho , we need to remove any isopropanol vapor from it.This is what the small keg does.it's basically a condenser.

-------

Another question I saw :

Yes the dry ice depletes.This rig is not designed for continous operation , just short runs.

Old October 17, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Okay, I've been reading all this and I'm still unsure about one thing:

Do the computer parts actually sit directly in the Isopropanol?

haha
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Closed Thread