Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2008, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hehe......thx guys

I have made some progress.I had the day off today , so I went hunting at the local scrapyard.....Found 2 amazing buys.

I got the inner tank for the storage dewar :

I have necked it to be just a wee bit taller than the outside tank....

Nearly complete dewar : all thats required is to seal the two tanks together at the top.The vacuum connection can be seen as well......

------------

I am designing my own pump.I believe it'll be cheaper and easier to maintain than most commercial solutions.I should have some prelim. pics of this up soon.

Old May 15, 2008, 04:28 PM
MVP

A bit out my depth... but I'm not sure why use alcohol and dry ice? Is the goal to keep it warmer than -50C to avoid damaging the board? If not why not fill your tank full of liquid nitrogen? it seems like it would be a lot safer.
Old May 16, 2008, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'd like it to go colder than -50.

Here's the deal ;

I can't use straight LN2.I'm pretty sure if you just poured LN2 on a running motherboard it would immediatly die.Thermal shock is no joke.

By using Isopropanol and dry ice , I can bring the temp down reasonably slowly, thus minimizing the effects of thermal shock.

Secondly , the physical requirements of a tank/recirc system designed to handle LN2 is a lot more mechanically demanding.And expensive.

-----------
I'm really not sure LN2 would be any safer.While using flammable solvents seems really dangerous , in reality , flammable solvents are used every day in industrial applications.As long as the correct protocols are followed , it's really no big deal.

Old May 27, 2008, 06:39 PM
MVP
F@H

BrainEater any updates for us? lol i really want to see how this turns out
Old May 27, 2008, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

sure.

Before I give you a sneek peek , let me explain why updates are slow on this sucker.A good portion of the materials required for this are very difficult to source.I Just found 'proper' borosilicate glass :

TecniGlas

I am waiting on quotes.It might be $$ so we'll see.

----------

I have also found the 'exteriors' for my vacuum jacket lines.

here's yer pic :

-------

I have every part (computer wise) except the video card.

I am working on the 'inners' for the VJ lines.

Once I decide on proper inners (and have pipe sizes etc),I can start worrying about the pump in earnest.

This is the hard part.

Just try and spec out a 'cheap' pump for alchohol at -80c.No such thing exists.heh...I'll be using the soviet method for building my own pump , I think....The 'blood and thunder' way assures results. I should have some prelim pump building pics soon.

Last edited by BrainEater; June 5, 2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old May 28, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quicky update :

I have heard from the glass supplier.Looks like about 500$ for the borosilicate glass to make the inner tank.That's more than I had hoped , but I don't really have any choice.It is the best material.

I think I can swing it ..
Old May 29, 2008, 09:09 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

$500! That is craziness. I woulda picked up a $30 fish tank or similar hehe
Old May 29, 2008, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

ah yea , it's more than I wanted to spend..I take my 'projects' very seriously tho.The thinktank is already worth thousands of dollars and taken thousands of hours of my time.

The original 'thinktank' is a fishtank, for all intents and purposes , however I'm about 98% sure if I fill it with -80c liquid , it'll shatter.That would be bad.

Borosilicate glass is the correct material for this application.Therfore , it's 500$ well spent.

Old May 30, 2008, 01:52 PM
MVP
F@H

BrainEater i hope you get this to work and then set a new world record for greatest overclocks lol

I want you to set the record on like 10 different CPU's lol
Old May 30, 2008, 03:12 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What is the freeze point of polymer capacitors? I know you will have issues with normal caps around -30 to -50.