Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2008, 10:15 PM
Rookie

watching and waiting intently - this is going to kick some serious
Old August 30, 2008, 04:04 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

You are the most audacious computer modder I know! Keep it up and I cannot wait! :D

Old August 31, 2008, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hehe......Thx !

While I'm doing computer work now , 'computer modder' is probably misleading....I'm more of a ....um....'Mad Fabricator ' ? heheh , computer cooling is just where I am directing my energy now.I simply enjoy technical challenges , and the act of 'building things'.That's the best way to describe it.

---------

Two down , two to go.The 'front' borofloat plate is in.

Here's the bottom after the second set of four silicone blobs have cured , with the spacers out ;

------------

Front cleaned , spacers installed ;

--------

Borofloat front with handles installed after cleaning , RTV157 applied to seam edge ;

--------

Setup for cure....

--------

Once all 4 pieces of glass are in with the primary seams , all of the seams will get a beveled topcoat of the RTV.

Old August 31, 2008, 02:43 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Slowly, but surely. Keep up the good work.

Now, RTV application 101: a bevel edge is not what you want. Actually, the end result should look like this:

The right angle are the panes of glass, while the radius is the RTV contour. That is an aerospace application. Speaking of which, how's the 157?
Old August 31, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ahh yes , sorry , 'reverse bevel' is what I was after ,exactly as you describe.

Edit:bevel is the wrong term.I guess 'convex' is the correct term.

'Xact same as welding .

-----

The RTV157 is really nice to work with .It seems quite a bit smoother than GE silicone II during application.

Last edited by BrainEater; August 31, 2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old August 31, 2008, 04:20 PM
MVP
F@H

BrainEater you do realise you have to set some world record OCs with this monster!...I'm assuming it won't be too difficult to change out the components lol:P
Old September 2, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Ahh yes , sorry , 'reverse bevel' is what I was after ,exactly as you describe.

Edit:bevel is the wrong term.I guess 'convex' is the correct term.
I am not happy with this.

I still can't think of a one word term for that bond type..'Mild-convex-corner-joint ' ?? I know it as a 'fillet-weld' from welding....anyways I digress.

-------------

3 down , 1 to go.

The 1st of the side panels of the borosilicate glass inner liner is in.Here's the pane cleaned, sizers installed , edge RTV157 on.....

---------

In like Flynn :

------

At this point , I'd like some opinions.If you look at the above photo......
See the gaps ? they exist at the back, and the top.

Now , the 'seam' ( the joint between the two glass layers ) will be RTV157 , however , there is space there that I'll need to insulate as best as I can.( I designed it this way ) ......My original idea was to just fill those areas with silicone , but it's time to give this serious thought.It needs to be as 'insulating' as possible.

Any insights ?

--------------

3.0Charlie : I've noticed something else about the RTV157.It bonds to glass waaaaay better than GE silicone II....Cleaning the (cured) GE silicone II off of glass is no problem , guick rub it's gone , however , RTV157 is on there and doesnt like to come off.

Cheers !

--------------

I got the first half of the main coolant line fittings today.

I managed to get the " 7/8 inch flare union (male) to 3/4" NPT (male)" fittings today , for a good deal of $17 each.My 'short-rod-nut' females will be here next week.

Here's a preview shot (preliminary) of the main cooling input/output of the tank :

-----

I'll be getting the actual plumbing underway very quickly.

Old September 2, 2008, 04:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

Maddness i say Just madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil laff :)
Old September 2, 2008, 05:10 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Stop trying to find the perfect wording Ross... convex silicone application is quite correct. A fillet seal is another description.

You'll like the 157 - remember, it ain't your normal stuff... it's Aerospace grade material.

For the gap, could you use a silicone string, with a bigger diameter than the gap? And bond it in place with small silicone dabs.
Old September 2, 2008, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yes , the RTV157 is far superior from what I've seen so far.

------------

I'm actually throwing around the idea of some sort of 'mesh' or 'honeycomb' to help with an air gap , on the areas without double glass.....