Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2008, 04:08 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall86 View Post
Thanks alot for the previous advice, I have begun looking at going with Fluorinert for a smaller project then this.

One thing I did uncover is Fluorinert FC-77, it is good too -110 C and + 98C. Just wondering why you had chosen too go with Isopropanol?
Cost.
Old August 27, 2008, 05:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

Absolutely.

Fluorinert fc-77 was 435$ US a gallon last I checked....I need about 6-7 gallons....

Another little known tidbit about fluorinert :
While is does not burn , if it is exposed to fire , it decomposes into very toxic compounds similar to Phosgene gas......

edit: FC77 has been discontinued.It has been replaced by fc770 . Current price : about $1000 a gallon . you can get a deal on 3 gallons for 2450$.

Last edited by BrainEater; August 27, 2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old August 27, 2008, 03:02 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Absolutely.

Fluorinert fc-77 was 435$ US a gallon last I checked....I need about 6-7 gallons....

Another little known tidbit about fluorinert :
While is does not burn , if it is exposed to fire , it decomposes into very toxic compounds similar to Phosgene gas......

edit: FC77 has been discontinued.It has been replaced by fc770 . Current price : about $1000 a gallon . you can get a deal on 3 gallons for 2450$.
Ohok, I have not been able too find pricing of any kind (Small town Ontario right now)

Good too know the price of it though.
Old August 27, 2008, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Pricing on specialty materials like this is generally by quote only...

I have some links to other liquids you might consider , lemme dig em up .

----------

I have officially started the tank upgrade !!

I had to do a little machining on the tank , two holes , drilled and threaded through the back , for the 'gas blanket lines' ... These allow me to fill the space between the two glass tanks with clean , dry insulating gas ( n2 , argon etc) ;

-----

The gas lines attach to the back like this ;

-----

In this pic , the gas feed line has been soldered together , and both it and the tank have been cleaned with soap/water , and then laquer thinner (methanol/MEK/toluene)..........

------

Installation : The line is 'permanently' sealed into the tank with both teflon tape on the outside half of the threads , as well as silicone on the inside half of the threads ;

------

Now for the sketchy bit.

The gas line is 1/8" soft copper tube.It's a little fragile , and I have to bend it freehand , I can't use any bending tools.....If I kink it anywhere , it's fuckin' done like dinner !!! , not only that but I'm doing it in latex gloves , which I'm really not used to.....

Win !!

Taped in and siliconed.It works fine.This tube comes out under the inner tank bottom.

-----------

Next step : Spacing and siliconing in the bottom piece of borosilicate glass.

Last edited by BrainEater; August 27, 2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old August 28, 2008, 05:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Why would tools be more likely to crimp the tube? I would have thought just the opposite.
Old August 28, 2008, 06:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Wow, this is amazing. nice work.

On a side note, Toluene is the first chemical you talk about that I know of. But here we dont use it as solvent, we use it to boost octane in Gasoline.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old August 28, 2008, 06:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

Absolutely insane .......I love it.

It's so comforting to know that others out there think of crazy as DIY projects to accomplish simple things like cool your computer....only better. However this is a project that absolutely blows my mind I can't even fathom the hours put into this. However I do understand the cost, all of my DIY projects are ridiculously expensive given the end product.....but the is no price on earth to put on the self satisfaction of proving to yourself and others that whatever you imagined can be done. Again amazing job I found this thread at work starting reading it at 3:00pm went home at 5:00 and sat through supper infront of my computer reading this thread until I got to here. I cant wait to see the finished product this is an internet treausure I feel bad for not using my Hardware Canucks forum account more often however I will be here much more often now.

Keep it up ...stay frosty
Old August 29, 2008, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thx !!

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
Why would tools be more likely to crimp the tube? I would have thought just the opposite.
It's not that they make kinks ,quite the opposite , but they can't be used :
Here's how you bend soft copper .You either a)Use a spring bender or b) (plumbers trick) coil solder around the bend area.....Bend it , then remove the spring/solder...It's the removal bit that makes it not possible.

That tube is longer than the plate it's getting bent up against , which means 2 simultaneous bends.End of story.hehe

---------

I have installed the first borosilicate glass plate.The bottom.

At this point a quick toast to both Diane Gilson (Cascade Glass) and Jean-Francois (3.0charlie)....
Cheers.I would not be here without your help.

----------

Ok........Gas feed line untaped , spacers cut :

-------

Spacers installed :

-------

Borosilicate bottom cleaned with laquer thinner , "handles" installed ;

-------

RTV157 blobs in ,glass installed , set up for cure :

--------

This is only the first silicone stage.I'll be adding some silicone after this stuff cures up a bit.

-------

I also need to Thank (again) my boss , Darin , and , Horatio Tiruta (Chinook pumps) . My pump is on the way ...mebbie 10 days-2 weeks.

Old August 29, 2008, 04:05 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

My pleasure Ross; keep it up, I love assembly!
Old August 29, 2008, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha, just checking in as usual, awesome progress so far. I'd also like to add that even my girlfriend thinks this is amazing; hahahaah :)
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Closed Thread