Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2008, 07:13 AM
Rookie

I bow before you Mr. Braineater...
We have a saying in Denmark...goes like: If something's worth doing, it's worth doing it well...
People living by this motto are an inspiration to us all, and you are certainly in that category...
Kudos and thanks for all your updates...
Old August 18, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Glad you found your pump, what's next?
Old August 18, 2008, 09:46 AM
MVP
F@H

somehow I think it was really BrainEater who cause the explosion in Toronto lol

you and your "experiments":P

jk of course

cmon finish this up already! lol
Old August 18, 2008, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

hehe ..... Thx Cyanide55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Glad you found your pump, what's next?
Assembly.

I have , or have on order/am getting , every major component.

Now , I do hafta earn some cash to pay for stuff , and the fabrication will take some time , but that's really the easy part.The hard part was finding all the bits.

I'm in the process of doing all the steel fabrication / welding , but it's 30 C here and well , cold beer is a much better option than welding , so I ain't rushing.

Old August 19, 2008, 12:19 AM
Top Prospect

Default Wow....Just Wow....

Just made an account to say congratz, this is the kind of stuff dreams are made of.

After reading this, a few ideas came to mind for a not quite advanced version, basically just running refrigerated Isopropanol.

Few questions that you might know the answer too.
1. What kind of standard pump could work for pumping iso at temps between -5C too about 5C? Would a standard MCP-655 work? Or would I be looking at getting my hands on something a bit more specialized?

2. Would it be better to submerge everything in iso? If so, would just a standard heatsink be fine with the fluid flowing through it? Or, would it be better to submerge everything, then run another loop with a WC block to the CPU/NB/GPU?

3. Where can I get my hands on a few jugs of Isopropanol? Would Isopropyl work?

4. What kind of standard tubing could be used? PVC, silicon? What would be my best bet?

5. Could I pump the iso through a rad mounted inside of a standard bar fridge, or mini freezer? Maybe grab a Fezer 480, or something around those lines.

I wish there was someway I could assist you in this endeavour, I move out too Calgary at the begining of September and if ya need anything let me know. I can always see what I can do.
Old August 19, 2008, 08:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks ! and welcome to the forums.

----------

If your goal is only sub-ambient , ie 'refrigerated' temperatures , you do not need to use Isopropanol , and I would fully recommend against it.

Using a flammable solvent for cooling is dangerous , and the only reason I'm doing it , is because I want temperatures lower than -60 c .

Now , there are other (non-flammable) liquids capable of operation at these temps , but generally they are very expensive . For me , the cost of running one of these fluids like 3M Fluorinert is far greater than for me to fabricate saftey mechanisms to run a nice cheap alcohol.

-------

Propan-2-ol , aka Isopropanol , Isopropyl alcohol , Iso , IPA , rubbing alcohol ....

As far as pumps/hoses /etc , I don't think you can run normal 'watercooling' materials with pure IPA....Plastics and IPA don't always play nice together.
The pump I'll be running is all 316 stainless steel , all my lines are copper , and the seals where required are silicone.

-----

Mini fridges or freezers are not designed for continous heat loads like a computer.It might work at first , but you'll end up burning it out.

Old August 19, 2008, 09:30 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

3x 82.8ml RTV157 samples are on my desk... ;)

edit: ... and sent to Calgary! PM sent.

Last edited by 3.0charlie; August 19, 2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old August 19, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

I have another sponsor !!

3.0charlie (merci Jean ) has graciously sent me the silicone I need , FOC .Thanks bud ! You (and your better half ;) ) have also helped me learn a great deal about adhesives , and I appreciate that a great deal.

Cheers !!

-------

I was in the workshop for most of the day.

The steel fabrication is well underway.Here's the raw materials :

From that , I have made the first of 3 , 2"x9" saddle unions.WTH is that yer asking..... a saddle union is designed to connect a larger pipe to a smaller pipe.Like this ;

This is the 'tank side' connector of the solvent recovery system ;

I've cut the top plate ;

-------------

At this point I'm gonna toot my own horn for a sec.I managed to pull of a near miracle of a cut , with a 16" makita chopsaw , cutting .220 wall steel pipe.This is a 70 degree mitre ;

That was not easy.I had to actually mod the chopsaw , and actually 'press' the blade into the work , by hand.It's a perfect cut too.

That has allowed me to start the top end of the venting system ;

Those pipes will be mitred to bend down.They connect to the 'saddles' on the recovery tank.

Old August 19, 2008, 07:23 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Ah! Fabrication and Assembly. That's my stuff. I gotta ask: how did you manage that 70 degree cut on that 1/4" wall tubing?

As for the RTV, that wasn't much. The 3 tubes are actually test tubes that the Metrology Dept. uses to verify that the batch is actually what it says on the label, and that it meets the requirements. They are kept until the batch is fully used, then they are discarded. I took them before their final trip. And all 3 are still within their "Best before date"...

It's my pleasure.
Old August 19, 2008, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'll hafta set up some pics , but I will forsure.I got really lucky on that cut....