Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2008, 05:02 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Great news on both fronts. Epoxy can be very strong, depending which substrates you need to bond. I'm surprised it held so well to glass though. I'd still put it under a shear stress with a gauge. Twisting force does not equal to a shear strenght applied on the joint. Can you drill 2 holes in the glass pieces and put the test piece between 2 vices?

As for the pump, I wonder how the conversation went...

"Yeah, lookin' for a pump, capable of -100C and isopropyl alchool is the liquid medium."
"And you wish to generate this flow for...?"
"Cool my computer."

Old August 9, 2008, 06:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ahahaha..... !!!!

That's what it sounded like all right.Chinook pumps was the first company to actually 'seriously' answer me.

-----

As far as the adhesive test goes , I'd have to make a test rig from scratch to actually measure break strength.... I do have a wide selection of hyraulics though, so we'll see what happens.

Old August 10, 2008, 09:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Not too surprising. The perception of liability alone in this screwed up world would be enough to scare most vendors off.

How viscus does this stuff get at that temperature?
Old August 10, 2008, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

It's funny you mention that.

I spent some time trying to narrow down the pump specs today.Good thing I spent the time , I learned some stuff.

Isopropanol goes from a viscosity of 1.96 cP @ 25 c , to a viscosity of ~300 cP at -87 c (Iso's freeze point).

I also set up a test rig to get some 'visualization' of what I actually wanted ;

I hooked that thing up to my water hose.It's 2x 3/4 inch lines.

That setup does 3 GPM with both pressure gauges at zero.

That's not enough from what I saw , I think I'm looking at about 10-15 GPM for what I want.

Old August 11, 2008, 05:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

hmm... Not what I expected. If olive oil is 81 and honey is 2000-5000 then this stuff should have about the consistency of dish soap; maybe a little thinner. I would not have though that would be very hard to pump. I guess, thinking about it, hydraulic fluid is pretty thin stuff; at least from the little I have seen.
Old August 12, 2008, 01:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Me niether actually.I've had iso that cold , but never really done a thickness comparison.I'll expound on the whole viscosity thing.

Here is the wiki on Isopropanol.If you look under 'Viscosity' you'll see 3 diff values , and a calculation.Pay attention to the cited reference. ( the [1] you see).
I went to the U of C and actually phototcopied that section , out of that book.If anyone needs to know how to calculate the viscosity of damn near any organic compound , I can probably help yah out.It'll save you the trip to the library at least.

-------------

I've rough cut the 'vent' lines for the main tank :

----

-----

I went to the scrapyard today and got the steel for the thinktank top , vent line fittings/saddles......I'm building these from 1/8 steel because I can do all the work myself.(welding/machining etc.)....I should have some fabrication pics up in the next couple days.

----

My friend cls||HaDeS pointed something out.I'm not sure if you guys checked out my post on the LHC pics , but I'd like to direct your attention to the 16th picture in that series.Recognize that flexible SS hose he's welding ?

Old August 12, 2008, 01:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I found some time today to talk to my M&P Engineer about your "project"; statement of the week: "He's freakin' nuts!" With that definition aside, he did tell me that the silicone adhesive we use on the Global Express window panes is actually RTV157. I was quite surprised, since I found out that this particular silicone kept its properties down to -60C. He did agree, but many tests were performed and that silicone passed with flying colors down to -95C... I need to do more research and confirm this usage on our drawings. But it would be rather interesting since:

- RTV157 is dirt cheap.
- the substrates bonded are borosilicate glass and painted aluminium.

More tomorrow.
John

Last edited by 3.0charlie; August 13, 2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old August 12, 2008, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Merci Jean.

Once again , you rock !

I'll be looking into that.

It's funny , that's something I'm learning as I go through this process.A lot of materials that have ratings , are not actually tested to the extreme areas.The 'operational temps' are basically absolute minimums.Safety Factor kinda thing.

Old August 12, 2008, 01:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You are correct. In the aerospace business, a 1.5x Safety Factor is used when analysing MTBFs and determining Stress analysis values. So that -60C could very well be -90C... but to confirm this I'll find the exact RTV used and the M&P Test Case Report.
Old August 13, 2008, 07:01 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
... statement of the week: "He's freakin' nuts!"
Oh, I think there is NO doubt about that. Most of us (here) are! Normal people don't build frankenstein computers with money out of their pocket, just so things that already happen instantly on the screen can happen more instantly.

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Closed Thread