Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2008, 12:55 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Bill Nye has a posse? Who da thunk it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
A good friend of mine , cls||Hades came up with a really good idea for a pump.
An 'auger' bit for a drill , inside of a pipe
That is called an Archimedes Screw. It is a truly amazing thing but they are generally used for lifting stuff not providing any kind of pressure. I have my doubts that it will work any better than the prop in an enclosed system.
Old August 6, 2008, 06:10 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Umm, 3.0charlie, you know how he stress tests things, right?

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-680i-die.html

LMAO!!!

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old August 6, 2008, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Don't forget to stress-test that sample, 'cause micro-fractures may not be visible to the naked eye.
QFT

Once I take it out of the iso , it'll get both destructive and microscopic testing/inspection.

-----

You are correct JackRabbit.

Pressure really isnt an issue.I don't need much.

Fortunately , I don't actually need to buy anything to test this.I've got several auger bits/pipe bits.......I'm playing 18 this aft , but I'll probably test it out tonight.

The big issue with me building my own pump is the mechanical tolerances.I simply do not have the tools , to get the required accuracy on the machining.

If I had my choice , I'd just order that pump I linked , but well....

I've also been having an issue with people at pump companies actually talking to me.heheh......when I tell em what it's for , they dissappear.....s'ok....I'm persistant.

Old August 6, 2008, 09:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am looking forward to hearing how the auger works.
Old August 6, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

With any luck thats on the backburner.I have found a pump company that's willing to help !

We'll see what happens.I agree with thier first suggestion , a magnetically driven , stainless steel , 'gear-pump'.....I'm curious how much this'll werk out to.....heheh.......at least I've managed to get just impeller systems , without a bunch of crap I don't need , and these guys seem willing to help so ,....

Things are looking up a little for a commercial pump , which I really would prefer.

------

Not that I dont want to make both designs work once with water.haw...

Old August 6, 2008, 08:05 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

That's great news! Which company did you bribe? ROFL

Don't ditch gear-drive pumps; we use this design for our Fuel systems. It can generate a massive flow. And with the liquid viscosity you'll have with those low temps, they may be a good idea.
Old August 7, 2008, 11:51 AM
Rookie

Wow, this is insane...and freakin' completely awesome!

Not sure how I missed this one. I haven't posted much in my short time here, but have been lurking and reading everything. I love the post about fine line between insane and genius -

Not sure if you still need one but I can donate a video card for the cause...have a lowly Radeon X1650 Pro (PCI-e) sitting here collecting dust.
Old August 8, 2008, 08:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

Hehe.

Thanks Joe , That's a generous offer.

While I don't actually have the video card yet , I can't accept your offer.The card won't work.

Here's why ;

Electrolytic capacitors can suffer from 'freeze-out' when they are used in sub-zero temps.There is a solution however.Electronics manufacturing companies are using a new type of capacitor , a 'polymer capacitor' that uses a plastic as the electrolyte..no liquid=no freeze out.

Newer motherboards are made with these poly caps.The p5k-se I have is.

Now they are harder to find , but some video cards do too.....And it's one of these I need to get.I found one at my local shop for 100$ , so it's all good.

-----

With any luck I should have word on the pump sometime today.....

Old August 8, 2008, 10:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Hehe.

Thanks Joe , That's a generous offer.

While I don't actually have the video card yet , I can't accept your offer.The card won't work.

Here's why ;

Electrolytic capacitors can suffer from 'freeze-out' when they are used in sub-zero temps.There is a solution however.Electronics manufacturing companies are using a new type of capacitor , a 'polymer capacitor' that uses a plastic as the electrolyte..no liquid=no freeze out.

Newer motherboards are made with these poly caps.The p5k-se I have is.

Now they are harder to find , but some video cards do too.....And it's one of these I need to get.I found one at my local shop for 100$ , so it's all good.

-----

With any luck I should have word on the pump sometime today.....

Doh! Sorry, I read that in one of your earlier posts but got sidetracked with all the reading. The part about not having the video card stuck in the old noggin I guess. Makes sense reading your explanation. Oh well, no problem.
Old August 9, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ok.......I have an update or two for yaz...

My Adhesive test is half complete.Here's the breakdown so far :

----------------------

Adhesive : LePage marine epoxy : part # 10-00397-0
Test substrate : 4mm glass

Test conditions : submerged in 99% Isopropanol for 140+ hours @ 20 C , 5 thermal cylcles to 82 C (held for 2 hours) . Allowed to dry 20 hours.

Results :
- The only change I can see upon visual inspection , Is a mild color change in the epoxy that was in direct contact with the iso :

------

-Microscopic examination at 100X (the best my crappy 5$ minimic does) shows no cracking or other obvious changes.

-I put on a pair a welding gloves and attempted to break the sample by twisting the crap outta it.....No dice...I have reasonably strong hands , so I would have to say the bond has not been affected.

---------

Onto part 'B' of the test...
I'll be setting up a longer glass+epoxy test sample , for immersion in Iso and dry ice.This will be the real test.....Personally , I think an unmodified epoxy is gonna fail this test , but I could be wrong.Thermal shear can generate thousands of PSI........

----

I have some news regarding pumps.

Chinook Pumps , of Calgary is helping me out.Thanks guys !!!

So the first pump we looked at was a magnatex sm series ,stainless steel magnetic drive gear pump.
This one's 5500$ .There is also concern that the cold could adversely affect it.

Magnatex then suggested an MMP series pump .This is a stainless steel centrifugal pump with magnetic drive.Now while this pump will tolerate the - 80c , there might be an issue with the viscosity of the iso at low temps.I can get one of these for about $2000.

On monday I'll be chatting with Chinook pumps about non-magnetic drive SS pumps.More chance of leaks , less $$....hehehe