Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2008, 01:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Dude, he works in construction. That's a hard hat. Can't wait to see the video of that!
I will run it through a wood chipper and make it happen.

but there will be no video. I am camera shy.
Old July 31, 2008, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
If you run liquid helium through that rig I will fly out there and eat your hat.
hahahaha

No worries , aint gonna happen.heheh.....I was just commenting on that epoxies insane specs......

Old July 31, 2008, 01:59 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah make it! Hell of a lot cooler than paying $1000 for a big ass bucket you will use a pint of and throw in the shed.
Old July 31, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Yeah make it! Hell of a lot cooler than paying $1000 for a big ass bucket you will use a pint of and throw in the shed.
I'm thinking up a test rig as we speak.

First thing : test epoxy VS Iso.I'll be setting this test up in a few mins.

Second : Talk to this tech crew from Foster again.......I'm curious if powdered glass would be better.Especially considering borosilicate glass is waaaaaay diff than silica glass.......

Last test : once I have modified epoxy , I need to glue some glass to glass using it , put it in Iso and dry ice , and see what happens.

Plans among plans.....

Old July 31, 2008, 02:16 PM
MVP
F@H

BrainEater, my a$$ is killing me because of you! I've been sitting on the edge of my seat awaiting every update to this thread.

Good luck with the DIY adheasive.
Old July 31, 2008, 03:05 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Those are all great news Ross! Playing with adhesives again I see? Going DYI too? Damn, a true Jack-of-all-trades. Can't wait to read the results of that homemade adhesive.

PPG is a great company, I wouldn't be surprised if they are actually testing just for you.
Old July 31, 2008, 03:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks guys !!

Yessir good news is right.

------

I fully intend to wait for PPG/Desoto.If they are in fact testing for me , I'll use thier product without question , even if mine works.I owe em that.

----

I am testing my own tho......

-----

Thats Lepage's marine epoxy , glueing 2 pieces of clean glass together , with varied thickness smears as well......I'll be giving that 48 hours to cure , then dunking it into Iso for a week.we'll see what happens.

Old August 2, 2008, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ok.

Testing time.There's some decent physics here , you guys will appreciate this.

The Lepage's 'Marine' epoxy has had 50 hours to cure.Time for Iso testing.Heres the test setup ;

Next.....

Glass bonded with epoxy into pot.Put in iso till the test piece is fully covered.Reverse pot's lid , add ice.Heat :

------

What's going on with that ?

Well.... I want to be able to nearly boil Iso with no fumes.so.....

Most pots have rounded lids that round 'outwards' when in place.If you flip the lid upside down , (i.e. curved side down) it presents a larger surface area than the 'boiling surface'......

Here's what that means : if you put ice into the reversed lid , you can boil the Iso forever.....as long as you add ice (it condenses the iso back into the pot more than it evaporates) .... no Iso loss.

-----

So...

I'll be maintaining the heated test chamber at 70c for several hours.....

we'll just see what that epoxy is made from...hahah

Old August 2, 2008, 08:38 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You're nuts. You're a guy that has a 1 gallon jug of isopropyl alcohol. And you know your Chemistry very well! So you dumped that bonded glass in 70C iso, while being subjected to below 0C upper surface with the ice. Right?

But I thought you wanted to test very low temps?
Old August 2, 2008, 10:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You're nuts. You're a guy that has a 1 gallon jug of isopropyl alcohol. And you know your Chemistry very well! So you dumped that bonded glass in 70C iso, while being subjected to below 0C upper surface with the ice. Right?

But I thought you wanted to test very low temps?
I'd say he's running the test at higher temps to accelerate any chemical interactions. Am I right? Then once he's comfortable that there are no interactions, test to see if it can withstand the cold.

Also, the upper lid is acting as a condensing chamber, and is not in direct contact with the glass?
Closed Thread