Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2008, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would imagine Acrylic and iso is probably like Styrofoam and Model Glue? LOL
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 29, 2008, 01:10 PM
Top Prospect

Yah iso is NOT a good thing to use on acrylic. It crazes the crap out of it. Your not even supposed to use windex on acrylic =)
Old July 29, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

I guess I have nothing but polycarbonate here......heheh....been dabbing Iso on stuff for an hour with no luck.

Anyways , Acrylic a.k.a. polymethyl methacrylate , doesn't 'melt' when exposed to alcohols.The alcohol actually destroys the chemical bonds of the acrylic , causing it to completely shatter , albeit very slowly.1 drop of pure Iso inside an acrylic container is all it takes.It starts with a nearly instant spiderweb of small cracks , followed by ever increasing cracking....until it's a pile of rubble.

-------

Thanks for all the input everyone !!

Cheers !

-------

At this point , even tho I still have not heard back from the companies in question , I'm pretty confident I have the 'sealant' issue aced.....I just need confirmation , then I'll pull the trigger and order it.

-----

My last big issue is the pump.

I went to a couple of my local scrapyards today , but was unable to find pipe of any kind , that was the correct diameter for my pump building efforts.....

This leads me to the only commercial solution I can think of :

A Gasoline /Diesel /fuel oil pump.Like the kind that fills vehicles with fuel at a gas station......

I'm pretty sure that from a mechanical standpoint , it'll handle the cold (with minor modification) and since it pumps gas , the bearings , seals , etc are probably already compatible with Iso....

------

I have a line on a thermometer for the cold stuff.We'll see if it pans out.

Old July 29, 2008, 05:27 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I wonder where the oil companies send the old pumps when they replace them... but it's a definite good thing that the sealant issue is (almost) closed.
Old July 29, 2008, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hehe.....my thoughts exactly.

I'm contacting some people about used gas pumps .

---

Yea the sealant issue isn't keeping me awake anymore.Better yet , it looks like I'll get into the full-on 'cryogenic' range as far as 'ability-to-withstand-low-temps' goes.....

Old July 29, 2008, 07:07 PM
Allstar

Oh, sweet. I originally found your build on [H], I didn't even know you were a canuck!
Old July 29, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Got anymore pics BrainEater? We're all dyin' to see man. If you haven't read the book The Magic of Thinking Big, then you really should. We would have to rent warehouse space for your next build after this. Can't wait!

Have you thought about fitting this build into a frost free refrigerator?

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!

Last edited by misterlarry; July 29, 2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old July 31, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Heya S G

---------

Sorry misterlarry no pics.......I'm in a 'work-like-a-dog-to-pay-for-expensive-hobby' mode while I get the next parts in.Nothing's really been done but planning.

------

I have talked to the people @ Foster.
one 40 Lb kit of Foster 82-77 cryogenic adhesive=about $1000 shipped.

Stupid f#$%^&^$# minimum quantities....hehe

The guy I talked to however had a chat with his technical crew , and they suggested I might try making my own , and told me how !!

4 parts epoxy to 9 parts fine silica sand by weight.The idea of this being to get the co-efficient of expansion of the epoxy as close to the glass as possible , thus preventing the 'shear' that will unglue it.

For the 12 bux it would cost me to try , I might give it a shot , but I don't need to .........

I've done more digging and found many more products to choose from , with acceptable minimums .

As far as I know I can use any one of the following products :

Armstrong A-12
Eccobond 285
Slycast 2850

You can find all of these at Ellsworth adhesives

There's also This !!

Just in case I want to run liquid helium ..

---------

I'm going to wait on hearing back from PPG/Desoto , because from what they have hinted at , is that they are actually testing the pr1665's Iso resistance for me.

Old July 31, 2008, 01:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you run liquid helium through that rig I will fly out there and eat your hat.
Old July 31, 2008, 01:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
If you run liquid helium through that rig I will fly out there and eat your hat.
Dude, he works in construction. That's a hard hat. Can't wait to see the video of that!
Closed Thread