Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2008, 02:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Aha...no worries , I am testing it where I live .... I'm designing it to be safe , at about triple the price so.....

-----

I'm still waiting on quotes/data on the cryogenic adhesives from both PPG and Foster....I seem to have a habit of asking really hard questions.hehe

-----

I've yanked all the dallas 1-wire temp probes outta my router.I'm reprogramming the mx222 for it's new home....

----

These sensors will be handling the above -40 c temp monitoring....

---

Interesting side note : after 2 years of service , Arctic Alumina 2-part Thermal adhesive loses it's strength.This stuff is disintegrating.
Old July 28, 2008, 03:12 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I have been speaking with the applied research guys at SAIT. Hopefully they can hook me up with something. Worth a try anyway.
Old July 29, 2008, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks man !!
I really appreciate the help.

hopefully I'll get some callbacks today
Old July 29, 2008, 06:44 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I have been speaking with the applied research guys at SAIT. Hopefully they can hook me up with something. Worth a try anyway.

o_O sait? niice, when I go back to alberta soon, I study CST at---- NAIT
Old July 29, 2008, 09:25 AM

Reply from Dave in applied research:

Quote:
Off the top of my head no. sorry- as I haven't had much experience with the thermal glass- and I assume that structural silicone will no longer function at such low temperatures. I will certainly forward it around to see if I can come up with anything.

My own experience has been using acrylic- and various WeldOn products- 3, 14 or 40. I know that isopropanol aids in 'cleaning' the acrylic but I don't believe that it would melt away your tank. The Weld On product has certainly proven to be strong- with the acrylic giving a higher insulation value then typical glass. Certainly your temperature differentials will affect the acrylic- but it seems to be leading choice in regard to structure.

I have also heard of similar glass tanks being held together with poured concrete corners using Xypex admix- to reduce concrete saturation and bind cracks.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Dave.
Couple ideas here and he is going to ask around. Seems some experiments are in order.
Old July 29, 2008, 09:26 AM

Why NAIT over SAIT? You will be stuck in Edmonton! hehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] View Post
o_O sait? niice, when I go back to alberta soon, I study CST at---- NAIT
Old July 29, 2008, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Reply from Dave in applied research:

Couple ideas here and he is going to ask around. Seems some experiments are in order.
Pinnacle Agencies in Nova Scotia might be able to help/supply or direct you where to get appropriate admix for concrete should you decide to poor some corners; it wouldn 't be too hard to make some cheap wood frames; grab a bag of concrete and sopme admix (it's typically not -that- expensive compared to the rest of your stuff lol) and use some of that silicone you're working on to fill in between the concrete corners and the plexi...

Pinnacle Agencies > Home ( DNN 4.3.3 )

Not sure if it helps at all but thought I'd drop a link just in case!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 29, 2008, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Heh.

Ever see what alchohols do to acrylic ? they don't assist in cleaning , they assist in reducing the acrylic into a pile of splintered bits.

If there was ever a case of 'materials incompatibility' it's acrylic and iso.

If I can find a piece of acrylic laying around , I'll show you.It's actually quite amazing.

Thanks all the same tho.

Old July 29, 2008, 10:45 AM
Top Prospect

If you wanna glue acrylic use Methylene Chloride... or Weld-on 16. MC works better in my opinion and i have used both. If you wanna polish and clean acrylic (you can also buff out scratches) you wanna use a product called NOVUS. Novus 1 polishes and cleans, Novus 2 will buff out light scratches, and Novus 3 will buff out heavy scratches. You can get all of these products at a store in Calgary called Industrial Plastics & Paint.
Old July 29, 2008, 11:26 AM

Good tips, I will keep that in mind. Was thinking of working with acrylic a bit for a bench table and possible a reservoir. Havent done it before so it would be a fun project.