Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 24, 2008, 08:32 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

PRC is from the company's name: PPg / (PRC) Desoto. Their line of adhesives - sealants starts with PR. Just like RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) is a trademark of GE Silicones, now Momentive.
Old July 24, 2008, 09:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
PRC is from the company's name: PPg / (PRC) Desoto. Their line of adhesives - sealants starts with PR. Just like RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) is a trademark of GE Silicones, now Momentive.
I was thinking about that after I'd posted the "PRC" comment. It's funny how certain names get used as a generic term no matter who is making it.

PRC, RTV, and LPS are the most common we use, and they all describe actual brand names rather than the required mil spec. (Sometimes that's an issue when we're trying to get a new supplier and we've got to go digging to find the actual mil spec that the original requirement called for).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 24, 2008, 09:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

hehe, been there - done that, since the same goes for some fasteners: Hi-loks, CherryMax, etc... both related to the actual name of the product, since they are called mechanical rivets.
Old July 24, 2008, 09:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Wow......Thanks again John , and thank your wife for me too.

Your find has really helped me out a lot.

I hav'nt heard back regarding the compatiblity data on the PR1665 , but I just realized : I need an adhesive that'll just tolerate cold (i.e. iso resistance not required).....for the dewar seal and the vacuum piping seals , and the pr1665 fits the bill quite nicely !

I'll be ordering some ASAP.

Thank You ,

Ross

ps....PM
Old July 24, 2008, 10:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

My pleasure Ross. And you are quite right regarding the compatibility, if indeed it is strictly for vacuum sealing purposes.

John

PS. PM replied to...
Old July 26, 2008, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

I talked to PPG on friday . Apparently , 'technical support' does not know if it's resistant to isopropanol....hehehe....

They are getting back to me again next week.

-----

I have done more looking into the whole 'Cryogenic adhesive' thing , and have found another candidate :

Foster 82-77 ...This one says right there it's resistant to solvents.

There is some interesting reading on this subject.These are the kinds of adhesives that hold stuff together in the liquid fuel tanks of the space shuttle.They are actually tested by repeated dunking in liquid nitrogen , then boiling water , back to liquid nitrogen etc......after 10 dunks it holds strength.Pretty impressive group of adhesives.

I'm not sure why I originally only considered the 'Silicone' class of adhesives.I do know about the 'Urethane' class of adhesives.I've used them many times.
I guess some lessons need to be learned more than once.hehe

-------

So there's only 1 major hurdle now.The pump , and I 'm about 80% this one's manageable as well.I'm going to some in depth research on the specs of fuel transfer pumps , and I'm still going to play around with the one I'm trying to build.

-----

I'm going to start getting the mobo tray/top built.I'm reusing the original thinktank one , but it needs modification.

I will probably put the rig itself together just to make sure all the parts work.The cpu and mobo are fine I'm pretty sure , but the ram is RMA return so who knows.

Old July 26, 2008, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

this worklog is effing insane..
I'm pumped to see the results, as this is one hell of a massively epic project. I had to look up half the shit you guys where taking about so I could understand what was going on.

Best of luck!

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old July 26, 2008, 08:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Foster? I taught that was an Australian beer...
Old July 26, 2008, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm waiting for a post from you where someone complains to the RCMP that you're building an ify contraption that explodes :P Hahaha "Umm so apparently they think I'm a terrorist of sorts" j/k haha
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 28, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

lol as long as he doesnt go out and buy a shit load of fertalizer and desiel fuel he wont get anyone bothering him. lol

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Closed Thread