Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/)
-   -   WIP Operation : Big UPS/solar backbone. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/55118-operation-big-ups-solar-backbone.html)

BrainEater June 28, 2012 07:30 PM

Operation : Big UPS/solar backbone.

Ok.

So I've gotten 3x IBM Eserver 3000 UPS' for free.It's 6+ Kw of fully managed ups.220 volt hookup.......about 600 pounds worth , and plugging in 48vdc batteries is easy.

So I thought to myself , I should UPS my house....not only that but it provides a backbone for a solar setup........

-----

So here's the plan right now.I'm running a nice thick 220 line to the garage where the ups' will be.I want to run lines back from the ups' outputs that wire into certain circuits of the house.....6 kw would run my whole place minus stove/dryer.

The UPS' basically provide the 'AC' side of the conversion , and handy monitoring for the 'DC' side of any solar charging setup.

Now I'm unsure of the electrical codes on this kinda thang......I work with a master electrician , I'll be asking him , but I'd like input from you guys too.It's gotta be fully legal etc..

Idea's ? Input ?

:thumb:

I'l get pics up right away.

BigPhatPaulie June 28, 2012 07:48 PM

How'd you get your mitts on a couple grand worth of ups? really cool idea to use it for though

Perineum June 28, 2012 08:56 PM

he lifted the foundation of a server room and spent all night dragging them out..... :thumb:

Arinoth June 29, 2012 04:09 AM

Hmm would be rather interesting. One of your bigger problems though will be the solar power. It'll probably take several days to charge them up unless you want to be up on your roof (or wherever you install the panels) changing their angle so that they are the most efficient.

Another thing you'll need is to regulate the voltage/current (aka power) coming from the solar panels as well, as to not do any potential damages to the UPSes.

I've done a few small scale projects on a solar powered battery based systems, so if you have any questions let me know.

b1lk1 June 29, 2012 04:22 AM

I'd be worried that the inverters in the UPS are not capable of handling the sustained loading you'd be putting on them. I doubt they are rated for a constant hour duty cycle. One of the most expensive parts of the solar setups is the inverter/power tie in. You would have to have some sort of manual switch to cut off Hydro to run solar. Either that you'd need some sort of automatic setup to accomplish this.

BrainEater June 29, 2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1lk1 (Post 638321)
I'd be worried that the inverters in the UPS are not capable of handling the sustained loading you'd be putting on them. I doubt they are rated for a constant hour duty cycle. One of the most expensive parts of the solar setups is the inverter/power tie in. You would have to have some sort of manual switch to cut off Hydro to run solar. Either that you'd need some sort of automatic setup to accomplish this.

We're on the same page here.

I too doubt the duty cycle.......thats ok tho.....

I'm going to start with the 'whole house UPS' , then worry about whether I can glom it into a solar setup.

I'm thinking I might run a couple low wattage lines to the UPS' and testing that duty cycle on fulltime conversion.

Might work , might not , either way I see some external battery banks !

BrainEater June 29, 2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPhatPaulie (Post 638273)
How'd you get your mitts on a couple grand worth of ups? really cool idea to use it for though

I've done computers for long enough that people call me when they have stuff.I do recycling basically......I have a truck , and will come and get a whole office of stuff.90% is ecycling , but yah find some gems.

BigPhatPaulie June 29, 2012 05:22 PM

Ah I see well good luck with the project!

Arinoth June 29, 2012 06:39 PM

It's possible to do with the right inverters, it also depends on what you can feed them too. I imagine you're going to have to feed them 3 phase voltage/current if you plan on "plugging them in" as in power sockets. If you were to wire them up directly, you'd have to essentially screw around with the transformer in your UPS to deliver straight DC.

The fun thing about solar panels are they typically generator DC. You then need to invert/convert that to AC (typically 3 phase), then convert it back to DC in your case for the batteries. I am currently working at a nuclear power plant and have quite a few knowledge power delivery individuals I could ask if you had any specific questions.

I know someone who has a cottage that has essentially what you're trying to do Brain. When they have power they pull from the grid, when their power goes out the batteries kick in and they deliver power until they run out or power is returned. I cannot remember though if they use solar panels to charge the units or just have them recharge from the grid.

Toyoracer June 29, 2012 11:14 PM

Use the solar panels to just charge the batteries since their output is DC. You would need a controller for the charging, to not over charge.