Sleeving Discussion & Gallery thread
Have any questions about sleeving or have some pics you want to post? I tend to get a lot of PMs in regards to sleeving so maybe a thread to keep things organized is a good idea.
Where to buy the good sleeving?
1. MDPC-X. My personal favourite. Good prices & perfect size. However the store has wierd and very short hours of operation.
2. Dazmode. Just as good quality as the MDPC-X stuff, available in Canada, and pretty good selections of colours.
A sleeving tutorial video by mattlef Shrinkless Sleeve - Quick and Dirty
My quick guide to shrinkless sleeving.
1. Bare cable.
2. Install sleeving like so. Leave a couple of mm between the edge of the sleeving and the crimp head.
3. Install the piece of heatshrink. I like to use about an inch or so of heatshrink so I don't burn the sleeve.
4. Take a torch or a lighter to the heatshrink. This is to melt the sleeving underneath the heatshrink. It will likely take a few tries to get the perfect melt. Too little and it won't hold. Too much and you'll melt the wire plus likely burn the sleeve where it can be seen.
5. Pull off the heatshrink w/ a pair of pliers. Now just slip it in to a connector.
Link to sleeving water cooling tubing
Some of the more recent sleeve jobs I've done. This is the 'shrinkless' method.
Jesus that looks good.
I still prefer MDPC, even with Nils' store hours.
Basically he has these hours for well, personal and business reasons, but i only know of the personal and i cant comment further on it. His products are well worth the wait in my opinion. Like with Charles' new MKII products coming, if you'd be willing to wait for the very best.
I'll add some more later
The weird store hours suck, but Nils was an absolute dream to deal with. Nice and helpful with everything, super high quality stuff. Even send emails for noobs such as myself on how to do the sleeving properly.
With that said, Daz is friggin awesome. Being in Canada is just icing on the cake. Haven't experienced the Darkside cables/sleeving yet.
Meant to post these as well. Sleeved tubing can look awesome. This is 3/8" ID 1/2" OD, which SATA sleeving can be used.
+1 thread LF.
I'll toss some pics of Darkside extensions vs Bitfenix when I wake up.
Im assuming you use the compression fitting to hold the sleeves in place?
This is great.. This thread is probably because I PMed lowfat like crazy lol.. Sorry bud.. but you really were helpful! :)
Also since this is a sleeving discussion thread, I should point out is lutro0's sleeving guide, this guy is really good at it and here's some very useful videos: lutro0 - YouTube .. Here's a shrinkless sleeving guide Follow up on MDPC sleeving - YouTube
Only thing now we need on HWC is lowfat's sleeving guide, hopefully lot of us encourage him to get one :p
On the left... Bitfenix USB sleeved extension
On the right... Darkside PCIe extension
I don't know what you are talking about because the bitfenix are definitely not cheap and about to fall apart. Actually in the picture it looks perfectly intact and like it is is not going to fall a part at all. This sounds like some serious fanboyism. They seem much higher quality then any other plastic sleeving out there. I think it's paracord? The darkside looks like plastic. Not a fan of it at all.
I own a bunch of Bitfenix Alchemy cables. If the bitfenix were not extensions I would chose them over darkside any day.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 AM.|