Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2012, 08:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm rocking a silverstone strider 1200w gold right now. Bought it mainly to match my case plus the overall length was shorter then most other power supplies in its watt category. Can't wait to sleeve this finally, ordered black connectors to replace the blue ones on some of the pci cables and ordered new pins for the 24 pin connectors (gold plated).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat
You can also cut off the only double crimped cable w/ no ill effect.
Which cable is that? I haven't really looked at my psu in a while

I've already cut the capacitor off the pci-e cable I am using right now. Are their certain psus that have the giant capacitors that don't recommend removing them?

This is the first psu I have had to have them so wasn't entirely sure but seen that you could, just didn't know if any psus didn't allow it.

Last edited by [nK]Sharp; June 20, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old June 20, 2012, 08:26 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [nK]Sharp View Post

Which cable is that? I haven't really looked at my psu in a while

I've already cut the capacitor off the pci-e cable I am using right now. Are their certain psus that have the giant capacitors that don't recommend removing them?

This is the first psu I have had to have them so wasn't entirely sure but seen that you could, just didn't know if any psus didn't allow it.
On the 24-pin cable there is one pin that isn't actually required. I believe it is called the -5v sense cable. There is one crimp that has 2 cables going out of it. You can cut off the smaller orange cable.

As for caps I have no idea. I make my cables from scratch so I've never actually cut off a capacitor before. I just make the new ones w/o the caps.
Old June 20, 2012, 08:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok, I remember that one now. Thought of doing all my own wires just to make everything perfect length but thought I would screw it up somehow so never tried.

Could have easily with my fans but never bothered either since they will be hidden anyway.

No wonder why I see your builds look so clean
Old June 20, 2012, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't recommend cutting off vsense wires on the Strider units. The minor rail regulation on those units is sometimes barely within 5% due to the fully modular 24-24 pin design. (lack of functional vsense wires) It makes for easy sleeving, but at the potential cost of minor rail regulation.

But that said, the minor rails have become more and more insignificant over time so YMMV. The only companies that have refused to use the 24-24pin design are Seasonic and Delta, and that's because they aim for >1% regulation across the spectrum.
Old July 24, 2012, 08:45 PM

My System Specs

MDPC-X Shade 19 + Grand Bleu.
Old July 27, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Nice sleeving there lowfat.. aah I still have to get mine started..
Between for everyone else, here's an awesome guide from Lutro0 for heatshrinkless sleaving..

Lutro0 Customs - Heatshrinkless Sleeving "Plastic Type" Method - YouTube
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old July 27, 2012, 01:06 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Nice sleeving there lowfat.. aah I still have to get mine started..
Between for everyone else, here's an awesome guide from Lutro0 for heatshrinkless sleaving..

Lutro0 Customs - Heatshrinkless Sleeving "Plastic Type" Method - YouTube
He waits too long after melting the heatshrink. It will pull right off w/o cuttings if you do it while it is still warm and soft.
Old July 27, 2012, 06:21 PM
Top Prospect

Great tutorial none the less.
Old July 30, 2012, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Has anyone ever tried Mod Smart System Sleeving Kit Pro Version - Black?

A box of the stuff showed up as a gift from a friend when all I wanted was the tool to switch a 24pin with another 24 pin haha.
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old July 30, 2012, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
Has anyone ever tried Mod Smart System Sleeving Kit Pro Version - Black?

A box of the stuff showed up as a gift from a friend when all I wanted was the tool to switch a 24pin with another 24 pin haha.
Too much thick sleeving and not enough thin sleeving. Sleeving quality isn't anything to talk about either, the kit is only worth it if you want/need the tools.