Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2013, 09:06 PM

My System Specs

The colour scheme I think I am going to switch over to when I redo my bench (again) when parts start to arrive.
Old August 22, 2013, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have a question for you lowfat or anyone that can answer for that matter but I have a feeling you will have the knowledge.

I am switching from a dual 6 pin to dual 8 pin gpu. I am wondering about the pinouts for the silverstone strider gold evo series. Are the extra 2 pins ground and will it matter which pin goes to which pin(psu to gpu pcie cables)? iirc they are both ground and it shouldn't matter but I wanted to double check with the grandmaster himself.
Old August 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
I have a question for you lowfat or anyone that can answer for that matter but I have a feeling you will have the knowledge.

I am switching from a dual 6 pin to dual 8 pin gpu. I am wondering about the pinouts for the silverstone strider gold evo series. Are the extra 2 pins ground and will it matter which pin goes to which pin(psu to gpu pcie cables)? iirc they are both ground and it shouldn't matter but I wanted to double check with the grandmaster himself.
Yes they are grounds. No it doesn't matter. But as a rule of thumb.. Re-wire as you found it
Old August 22, 2013, 06:31 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Yes they are grounds. No it doesn't matter.
Werd.

Might as well post the most recent 24-pin I did.
Old August 25, 2013, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Yes they are grounds. No it doesn't matter. But as a rule of thumb.. Re-wire as you found it
Unfortunately I noobed it and sleeved the 8 pin cables instead of the 6 pins for some odd reason. Bigtime Derp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Werd.
LutroO told me as long as the ground is to ground and 12v is to 12v which makes me worried. Does this mean the remaining 2 wires are actually not both ground? I'm confused and I really don't want to fry my new gpu.

Also I'm currently using 6 to 8 pin extensions which came with the video card. They actually just have a 7 wires with the 7th being a double wire. Does this mean I only actually need to do 1 extra wire for each?
Old August 25, 2013, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ended up ordering one of these and will just make a pinout sheet and switch my cables accordingly.

Silverstone PP06B-2PCIE70 Black Sleeved Modular Cable - 2x PCI-E 8PIN Connector
Old August 28, 2013, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Shrinkless Sleeve - Quick and Dirty

Hey Everyone,

I made this video for my build log, but i thought id share it here as well, in case some of you have not seen it and wanted to find a quick and easy way to sleeve your cables.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns,
Sleeving Tutorial - Step by step to get shrinkless sleeve - YouTube

And just because its funny:
The Girlfriend Perspective!
Sleeving guide - A Girlfriends perspective! - YouTube

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old September 5, 2013, 10:16 PM
Rookie

Is it possible to sleeve only part of a cable and attach the sleeving partway along the cable somehow? I was thinking of sleeving a few of the cables of a power supply in a Corsair Carbide Air 540, and since the PSU is in a separate compartment of the case it seems like a waste to purchase many meters of sleeving when the only part that will be seen is the last little bit that comes into the main compartment.
Old September 5, 2013, 10:20 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsincaat View Post
Is it possible to sleeve only part of a cable and attach the sleeving partway along the cable somehow? I was thinking of sleeving a few of the cables of a power supply in a Corsair Carbide Air 540, and since the PSU is in a separate compartment of the case it seems like a waste to purchase many meters of sleeving when the only part that will be seen is the last little bit that comes into the main compartment.
Sure you can but it would be hard to get a very tight sleeve job.
Old September 5, 2013, 10:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsincaat View Post
Easily. Shrink tubing comes in a 4:1 with adhesive on it. So you just trim your sleeving to the length you want and then use the adhesive shrink tubing and it will hold it in place.