Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2012, 03:56 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
looking real good!
Cheers dude(tte)!

It is time for another update! I spent most of this weekend in pain/ in bed after our house's so called deactivated alarm system went off at 4am and we had to strip it down in the middle of the night... This was less then fun given that they are designed not to be taken apart so shock you, generally deafen you and all edges are REALLY sharp...

But I got around to doing somethings, the outside surfaces are all going to be painted aluminium so I found my trusty jigsaw and aluminium angle!

There you have it, can we call this mod finished now? With everything being cut by hand there are always some inaccuracies so I made sure everything would be too big rather than too small! Shhh no one can see the missing supporting pillar!

As you can see some cleaning up will be required but thats ok, you can always take material off putting it back is harder...

Unfortunately with all the weight from the clamps that I had holding it together while I was puzzling the best fit one of the supports snapped! As it broke at the joint I just got some more acrylic weld and stuck it back in place.

While that dried I moved onto something more aesthetic fan grills from MNPCTech.com, Bill posted an image of them together on facebook so I ran down to the basement where I have a hodgepodge of random billet goodness!

A quick primer coat and they are ready for me to do something interesting with them...

Before painting I make sure I open the garage door to ensure good ventilation, but the garage has a counter weight and DAMN it was so close to crushing poor little codename c!

Finally for all the people who keep saying nice car... Get your fill then take a look at the case? :D

Old August 12, 2012, 04:40 AM
Top Prospect

The 'supportyness' of the supports has been drastically improved! With some more triangles! They are going to help me in 2 ways, first stop it falling apart and second it is going to give me a place to attach the side panels.

All the supports in place!

Now the LED holes... get out the 10mm hole saw thing. It works quite well on acrylic!

I was considering just leaving it like that but as I do not have the LEDs with me I wanted to make sure I could add more if needs be.

Break the rotary tool out and now I remember why I hate acrylic so much...

The finished hole, I do not really mind if it is a bit iffy and stuff it is all going to be hidden!

I started trailing glue to see what the best method to attach the aluminium to the acrylic.

I have been working today as well so there will be another update soon!
Old August 14, 2012, 12:52 PM
Top Prospect

So I am back again!

The first coat of black paint going on the front panel! I am going for matt black for now but if I do not like it I will gloss it and give it a good polish.

Next up is to attach the back outer sheet of aluminium. This sheet is going to be permanently attached much like the outer panels of the top and bottom. I have made sure that the top and bottom are all filed and sanded down before hand. My sister was recruited to take some pictures... LOADS of glue on the panel.

Clamps! I love clamps!

To ensure that the middle stuck I shoved a few pant tins on top of it.

Now that I cut this all by hand, there is a little bit of a gap between the top and side, I was expecting this and so made sure my supplies of 'mud' were stocked. I do love filler! But it does look alright now.

A tub of Belgian mud, I have no idea what the instructions are so I just went with it.

Ready for some sanding... Lots of sanding!

We have a public holiday here tomorrow so wait for some more updates!
Old August 17, 2012, 12:17 AM
Top Prospect

So I have another update! After sanding down the filler on the joins I gave the case a quick coat of primer having masked out all the acrylic. I am impressed with the join almost invisible! YAY!

Lots of this update is bits and pieces I completed yesterday as all the big stuff is not ready to be shown/ I have not got around to editing the pictures. This is a bolt... M4 steel, you know the normal. What makes it special in codename-c is that it holds in a piece of angle that in turn holds in pieces of aluminium that cover the acrylic internally.

Obviously this is just a bit of scrap but it gives you idea about what is happening.

I started working on the "door" I have cut out pieces of acrylic which fit snuggly with the supports on the main chassis, this will stop the door wiggling about and guide it into place when you put it on the case. I am working on attachement devices so there will be no screws on it at all!

While that was drying I broke out the rotary tool and cut out a slot for the rear exhaust fan to sit.

Stuck some matt black on the back panel... Going to be painting all the aluminium in matt black :D

OOOOOoooo RaspberryPi! This wonderful little board is going to be powering the LEDs allowing me to set the RGB leds to whatever I like :D I know, I could have used an arduino or any other microcontroller on the planet, but where is the fun in that?

Until next time, mod on!
Old August 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
Top Prospect

Sorry for the delay in updates but I went off to Lanzarote for a week on a family holiday which was a laugh but it was good to get back!

So I am using magnets for holding on the side panel, cut out a slot in the aluminium angle for the magnet. They were spare from some kitchen cabinets that me and my dad made while we were still in Scotland.

I filled the open end in with filler, have I mentioned how much I love this stuff?

Now quickly glue the other side onto the side panel.

So this is where we are in terms of the actual case! Getting there!

Now back to the fan grills, it is always the details right? Painted and I have added some acrylic between the to grills, which will light along with the rest of the case.

I no longer have any work to do, so I will be finishing this case soon enough :D
Old August 27, 2012, 03:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Lookin good Kylevdm
snazzy fan grills
Old September 1, 2012, 03:40 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
Lookin good Kylevdm
snazzy fan grills
Cheers dude!

So I have had a few days of iffy weather, so have not managed to get much painting done, and that is almost all I have left to do. However, for some reason I do failed to keep the garage clean anyway... :D

I left the plastic from the acrylic for the window in place while I painted the side panel. So the matt black is now down!

Got the matt black down on the internal panels as well.

And the main case as well!

OOO, more RaspPi! I have started making the box for the Pi, but more on that later!

If this weather holds out I may have another update for you soon!