Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9, 2012, 06:30 PM
Rookie

Default Antec P183 USB 3.0 Ports - Toaster Style!

I decided to install USB 3.0 ports in my P183, so I looked at getting a replacement kit for the front panel which is USB 2.0 only - no dice. Antec doesn't sell that part. And it didn't solve my problem of not having enough easily accessible USB ports on my case. I thought about the USB 3.0 bracket on the back of my case, and then I decided to make some toast ;)

Originally I was intending on making two rectangular holes for each of the USB ports on the bracket, using the bracket as a template. But my test Dremel attempts on an old Dell case I scavenged from the curb led me to believe that this was not a good idea. So I decided to make a larger hole and use the slot backplate sandwiched between the case and the ports to clean it up. It was a good thing I made that choice, because the top of the case is very thick and doing that would mean the USB plugs would not reach far enough in to make contact. This is even more important with USB 3.0 because the plug must be in completely for it to make contact.

I do need to find some better screws, but they're the only ones I could find in my parts drawer.

View all the pics of this mod in the photo album here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ter-style.html

Again, a word of wisdom to anyone who tries to cut into the top of a P183 - be ready for a serious fight. That plastic is THICK. I'd show you a pic of the pieces I cut out, but they were so melted and shredded, there was really nothing left to photograph.

Tags
antec , p183 , usb