Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2012, 06:43 AM
Allstar

Default Case Mod Project: "M A Y H E M"

I love building theme based case mods! and I'm having a blast with "MAYHEM" aka "Dirt Showdown PC" which is inspired by Codemasters’ new DIRT spin-off racing game for AMD Giveaway on facebook. You can enter the giveaway here

I'll be modifying Fractal-Design's Artic White" Define R3 mid tower. This is my 4th time modding a Fractal-Design case. I really like the overall craftsmanship of their cases and their prices are easy on the wallet.

Fractal Design Define R3 White case, Only $99 at Newegg

Features:
Improved model over Fractal Design Define R3
Stunning front panel design
Patent pending ModuVent™ design - removable vents!
Pre-fitted with dense, noise absorbing material
Motherboard tray cut-out, allows easy access to rear of motherboard
Eight HDD-trays, with silicone mounting
Can accommodate up to seven 120/140mm fans, two supplied
PCI fan controller for 3 fans included
Easily removable front fan filters with clip-on holders for 120mm fans

Specifications:
Dimensions 207.40 x 440 x 521.2mm (WxHxD)
Weight 12.5 Kg
Motherboard Compatibility Mini ITX, Micro ATX and ATX
Power Supply Compatibility Standard ATX, can accommodate long PSUs
PCI/AGP Card Compatibility Full size (up to 290 mm long)
3.5" Drive Bays 8, all SSD compatible
5.25" Drive Bays 2, one bay converts to 3.5" for floppy or card reader
Roof Cooling Fans Space for two 120mm, none supplied
Rear/Side Cooling Fans Rear - space for one 120mm fan, supplied; Side - space for 140 or 120mm fan not supplied
Front/Floor Cooling Fans Front - space for two 120mm fans (both with filters), one supplied; Floor - space for one 120mm fan (with filter), not supplied
Expansion Card Slots 7, with sleek white painted brackets
Front I/O Ports 2x USB 2.0, 1x eSATA and Audio I/O
Accessories PCI fan controller, controllers up to 3 fans
Warranty 24 months

The "Dirt Showdown" PC will be powered by an AMD 8-core FX-8150 3.6GHz processor

It will be cooled with AMD's new Liquid CPU Cooler. Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 and Pure Black 990FX motherboard. 16GB of AMD "Performance Edition" Memory DDR3

First step I made was modifying the front door of the DefineR3 for an intake grill that looks very aggressive like the modified Derby cars. I used a Dremel cutting wheel to cut rectangular opening in bezel door.

Expanded Steel for the front grill was bent in bench vise.

Let's test fit the grill before making final adjustments.

The front grill fits perfectly. It will be epoxied onto the back side of the door, once the door is repainted.

I love the night driving stages of the game, which gave me idea of implementing mini halogen projector lights, that will reside behind the front grill.

1.5W Pair High Power LED "Eagle Eye" White Lamps. Power: 1.5W X 2, 110LM, 8000-10000K are available on Ebay in the states here

I fabricated mounting plates for the Mini Projectors located onto the edge of the Define R3 front bezel.

Mini Projectors behind the Expanded metal front grill.

120mm Turbine Fans with machined aluminum "Overkill" 120mm Fan Grill Rings

machined aluminum "Overkill" 120mm Fan Grill Rings

The 120mm Turbine fans measure 120mm x 25mm. The Evercool fan frame is machined aluminum that has been polished. The plastic fan blades are electroplated chrome. The fan is rated at 2000 rpm with 79.4 cfm and 30 dBA.

To emulate the look of an engine inside the PC. Each side panel will utilize K&N single carburetor covers. A 92mm cooling fan will reside in each cover. The dense filter inserts will be removed from each cover and replaced with Round Modders Mesh for maximum airflow.

The K&N filters will utilize Round Modders Mesh

Using Tin Snip to cut the Round Modders Mesh for each of the K&N air intake covers.

The K&N filter covers were modified for 92mm intake cooling fans.

[img]img src="http://www.mnpctech.3dpixelnet.com/picture_library/amd_codemasters_dirt_showdown_gaming_pc_case_mod_a md_cooler_FX_radeon_fractal_design_92mm_scoop2.jpg[/img]

Drawing out the window design on the Define R3 side panel.

Customized Define R3 side panel with K&N intake.

All of the chassis modifications are made before sending it to paint booth for "House of Kolor" brand Tangelo Metal Flake Orange paint.

Carbon Fiber Tachometer Tach 8k shift light rpm 3-3/4", this was purchased on Ebay, Carbon Fiber Tachometer Tach 8k shift light rpm 3 3/4" 350Z 300ZX SR20 KA24 CA18 | eBay

Vernon Gibson (aka Twizted) This is Twizted's drawing for the new Data Activity Tachometer circuit board. Vernon is looking into development of CPU load Tachometer for future project.

[YOUTUBE]YCLiDS2rMpA[/YOUTUBE]

Video clip of Vernon testing an Arduino micro controller to sequence 24 LED's connected to two MCP23017 via I2C. <em>"For about the first 1/4 to 1/3 it ramps up slightly slower then from there up to around 2/3 to 3/4 of the scale it goes slightly faster than the first bit and finally the last of it up to 100% goes just slightly faster than the midway speed.

Custom pcb made by Twizted for "Tachdunio" HDD activity meter that will be mounted on top of the PC.

Here is the Tachometer in it's current state with all of the LEDS installed.

[youtube]i2Re-85lW0g[/youtube]

Next step is custom painting the face!

for the top, I'm installing Mnpctech machined aluminum and Black anodized 2x140mm (280) from frozencpu

I used a Dremel and Jigsaw to remove the factory grill perforations for improving airflow.

Using Measuring Square to center the location of the 280mm fan/radiator grill, then trace the hole locations with a pen.

I drilled the grill mounting holes before cutting outline for fan holes.

Using Dremel with reinforced cutting wheel to make initial cut before using the Jigsaw.

Using Jigsaw with 18 TPI bi-metal cutting blade.

The perforated factory fan ventilation holes were removed to improve airflow and allow for 280 cooling fan / radiator grill.

The Toggle switch for the carry handle has a Red LED for Power On. This will be used for the mini Halogen lights.

Wiring diagram for Fighter Pilot Toggle Switch with LED. You can use this switch to power on any accessory in your PC like cooling fans or lights.

Toggle switch is installed and tested.

Top carry handle...

The top carry handle was fabricated and welded from 1/2" square Steel tubing.

The HD activity tachometer will be located in front of the top carry handle. The next stages include velocity stack style fan grills, installing the Tachometer, custom paint, airbrushing, and more hot rod stuff
Old June 2, 2012, 07:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This looks awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old June 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Well Done

Looks like another exciting project from the Master

Love the tach and the side filters
Old June 2, 2012, 04:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Looks amazing, I look forward to further updates.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:40 AM
Allstar

Thanks for tuning in and commenting guys!

Watching the Dirt Showdown trailers have spawned a lot of Hot Rod inspired aesthetics for this PC. I love seeing Velocity stacks used on carburetors. A Velocity stack is a trumpet-shaped device of differing lengths which is fitted to the air entry of an engine’s intake system, carburetor or fuel injection. I'm creating fan grills to emulate Velocity stacks.

I'm using Rheobus knobs to emulate the fuel line connectors.

I'm creating fuel connector mount from the corner of a 120mm fan. I used a jigsaw with 18 TPI bi-metal blade.

Faux fuel line connector base. The Rheobus knobs were bored out for 1/4" wire loom tubing.

Billet machined 120mm fan grill frame

The inserts are 120mm Black acrylic honeycomb fan grill.

inserting 1/4" wire loom tubing in Velocity stacks

There will be two velocity stack grills mounted on the back of front turbine intake fans
Old June 4, 2012, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I absolutely love where you're going with this project. As a car nut, this might be the coolest mod i've ever seen. The velocity stacks make it look like a true hot rod, my uncle did them on his '32 Ford Five window coupe.
Old June 4, 2012, 05:45 PM
Allstar

Awesome! and Thank you for tuning in and commenting

Brad and I concocted a custom paint mix cfor the Dirt PC. We've named it "Dirt Showdown Orange" It's a combination "House of Kolor" Kandy Orange with touch of Red over "House of Kolor" "Shimrin Metajuls" Gold Basecoat.

Old June 5, 2012, 08:58 AM
Allstar

I couldn't help myself, just file these in folder labeled "Doesn't serve purpose, but looks tits"

Drawing inspiration from K&N race series street rod manifold pipes... except these will be mounted like bent "stacks" that will peek out from the rear of chassis..

I've modified pipe from bathroom sink trap I found in Plumbing section at Home depot...

made manifold mount from Blue transparent acrylic, I was lucky to get handful of these red anodized 6/32 machine screws from Twizted old online store, Dragonmodz.. which is now closed.., but You can get anodized machine screws from Parts-Express, Fastener Express - Socket Head Cap Screws, Metric Screws , Fasteners and Anodized Aluminum for the Hobby Industry.

Old June 5, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

very impressive... your creative and job skill is very good... i cant wait to see the result... i hope it will not be funny-computer ;p
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old June 6, 2012, 06:51 AM
Allstar

Overkill PC, very likely...lol. House of Kolor paint under the sunlight.... This is a Shimrin Metajuls Basecoat with Orange tangerine Kandy...