Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks a lot Pabz0r!

And hopefully, if I make it yes, the moment I post the pictures on the competition, Iīll post them here too : )
Old June 14, 2012, 05:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

First update of D-Day -1.

I am plausibly going slightly crazy...

...yes

Started drilling based on measurements taken yesterday and test mounted both radiators.

Matt black painted the chasis, even though in the picture it doesnīt look matt, thatīs because paint wasnīt dry yet.

Painted one side of both radiators (mainly the middle as the the non-radiator-y-bits will receive the wood treatment later today. Before anyone goes crazy about loosing performance and all that. Iīll say what Iīve said every other time Iīve painted a rad or heatsink and noticed no loss of performance. If you do it with acrylic paint, itīs fine. Itīs not fine when you do it with synthetic or plastic paints. You can argue all you want, but I wouldnīt be doing it if I hadnīt tested it countless times : )

Iīm hoping I can run the system without fans on the radiator to acceptable temps, since thereīs 2 rads and all they are cooling is the cpu, if not, will add fans at a later point, but for the "final" look they wonīt have fans on them.

Painted the plastic parts of the reservoir...

...and itīs mounts.

And finished all the wood effect trimmings.

Piping wonīt be done today as all the parts need to be mounted and while that will happen today, it wonīt before the plumbing supplies shop closes for the day.

So will be going hopefully first thing tomorrow morning and getting all the piping done, leave the loop running for as many hours as I can allow it to and still have time to mount the hardware and psu in and finish by midning tomorrow.

...I canīt believe I havenīt aplied the matt clear coat finish yet...

Now I have to go to my actual job and pretend like Iīm not freaking out about not finishing this in time :S
Old June 14, 2012, 06:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good luck. I hope you get it all done in time, it seems like there's a lot of work still to be done. I forsee a very long night in your immediate future, but it'll be a fun night, right?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 14, 2012, 07:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Cheers mate, in deed, really a lot of time right now is wasted just waiting for stuff to dry, but I got as much as I could done before work today so when I get back in about another 3 hours itīs all ready for clear coating
Old June 14, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Interesting. Are some of the mod parts from Claire's? Or is that bag there just cuz?
Old June 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yes, the watches hahaha €7 each :P
Old June 14, 2012, 03:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Right, Iīm at then end of D-Day -1, tomorrow is the last day.

Now, a lot of stuff has been finished but because some where still drying I didnt want to risk mounting what I need to measure for the piping till tomorrow morning, then as I mentioned in the previous post, piping time.

Anyhow...

Rads finished.

Reservoir unmasked...

...and aged with a touch of "filth".

If all goes well, tomorrow 1 to 2 updates + final update... after that, beer and a nervous breakdown :D
Old June 15, 2012, 08:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Right guys, weīre at that point, this is the update before the final update (in theory aniway).

So, this morning I assembled all that needed to be in or on the case in order to do the piping.

So, rads, motherboard and other assorted pieces.

And this is what the case looked like pre-piping.

So went down to my local friendly plumbing supplies shop and with some help from the shop attendant (my mate) and later on the owner of the shop (he was intrigued on what we were doing), I put it all togueter, it was incredibly hard to measure everything up correctly, tighten all the fittings being very carefull with the fragile ones (like the plexy ones on the cpu cooler or the plastic ones on the pump and reservoir). And after almost 4 hours, got it ready.

So here is the bare essentials case (nothing is screwed in, details wise, only the liquid cooling related stuff.

I now of course have to aply all the ageing effects to the fittings and pipes.

After that I went to my actual job (as I mentioned in previous posts I took both yesterday morning and today morning off to work on the project but still had to work 4 hours in the evening.

Iīve taken the motherboard out and left the loop running to be sure thereīs no leaks before I put everything togueter.

And yeah if thereīs no leaks I feel optimistic about meeting the deadline but words cannot express how tired and generally exhausted I feel.

Again, thanks for reading and following the project.
Old June 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's really cool. It's the first time I've ever seen rigid copper pipe used in a watercooling build (although I'm sure it's been done before...it's too good of an idea to not have already been done).

How did you figure out that you'd need 2x 3-120mm rads to passively cool your processor? Was it just a guess? Or did you do a little trial and error with some past projects. I'd like to see your temperature numbers when you have it up and running.
I suppose that mounting the rads an inch away from the case (like you mentioned you wanted to, but decided against) would have at least provided some sort of cross-flow ventilation through the rads, but now, I'm not sure what's going to happen.

Looks really good though.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 15, 2012, 09:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Cheers mate, in deed that was the idea behind mounted them an inch or so from the case but if itīs not possible itīs not possible (it provably would have been if I had more time in my hands, and I do plan on in the future doing a "redux" on this project and do somethings I wouldīve liked to do to it. But aniway, about the rads. to be completely honest I picked two to cover most of the side, I did some trial and error and just didnt like the look with just one. As for the cooling, really it was a but like if I get acceptable temperatures (no more than 55c) then great, if not, mount fans on it, which is why I left enough space between the rads and the pipes crossing over them. But of course, Iīll let you guys knows temps in general once I can : )