Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2012, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungwirez View Post
F-ing Brilliant mate!
+1 ... Super work really.. You don't see mods like those everyday.. .. maybe more
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old June 10, 2012, 03:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thanks a bunch mate : )
Old June 11, 2012, 01:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Todays Update.

Iīve started with the paint. Basically everything thatīs not wood, is copper, but adding the post-apocalyptic flavour in there. This technique Iīve been developing for a while and itīs the first time I implement it in to a mod.

By the end of this update you will not see the final product, you will see what it looks like before the ageing process, i.e. the copper goes in most places a lot darker, like real copper, the reason for the extra light copper color is to be able to have highlights once itīs ben aged. The turquoise is the opposite, it is very pale here, and it will have aged highlights once finished. The reason I canīt do this today is due to the fact that to get to this point requires quite a few coats and it needs a lot more time to dry, which it needs to be completely for me to aply the ageing process to this.

Without further wait, the process pictures.

First, the primer.

To continue, a solid coat of the orange-y copper and before it dries, a light coat of turquoise. Once aplied, using absorbant paper I go all over the fresh paint creating a non solid surface or color which will be the base.

Once dried, I aply a almost solid coat of the copper orange from further away than the usual, as you can see the dried paint uneven surface is doing itīs job by not allowing the fresh coat to reach every corner. I also further the paper usage to create a more uneven surface for the next coats.

This goes on for 2 more coats alternating both colours.

To finish off, I give a completely solid coat of turquoise and very quickly another of the copper. The wet coats and the surface react with eachother giving me the final look before the ageing process.

Hereīs a variety of pictures of it with and without flash.

The final rusted copper look coming tomorrow.
Old June 13, 2012, 12:46 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Update,

Had some internet issues last night so you couldnīt upload the pictures.

Aniway, the rust effect is finished, I aplied the ageing technique and several tones of copper to give it a more realistic look. The turquoise is very mild and I canīt quite catch it on camera, I took some pictures outside in the sun, hopefully that helps.

Youīll also notice I decided to add some extra effects and Iīve made it look as if the case had been partially submerged from the bottom left corner upwards.

This has without a doubt been the hardest and most time consuming effect Iīve ever done, the whole copper rust thing.

Hope you like it.

Old June 13, 2012, 08:27 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Damn does that look nice!
Old June 13, 2012, 12:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wait till you see the finished project this weekend and the NZXT PSU poping out ; )
Old June 13, 2012, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciel View Post
Wait till you see the finished project this weekend and the NZXT PSU poping out ; )
Gaaah, I can't wait! How about a teaser photo with the PSU dry fitted?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 13, 2012, 02:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

fraid not, as I didnt want to risk scratching just for the sake of dry fitting :S
Old June 13, 2012, 02:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Update:

Today I havenīt done much progress in the sense of progress I can show you with pictures. The 3 hours I had today to work on the project I pretty much spent measuring up and deciding mounting of the liquid cooling components (yes, they arrived today).

But, for the sake of posting a picture, hereīs a teaser on where the rads will be.

Initially I had planned to mount them with spaces, however, Iīve decided against it for two reasons. First, the weight of the rads would provably unbalance the tower if separated. Secondly the metal sheeting, while thick, isnīt thick enough to keep the rads firmly straight and I donīt like them being able to move at all if touched as it can weaken the sheet metal.

So due to these 2 reasons I will be mounting them straight on the metal plate.

Hopefully, a rather big update tomorrow in prepation for the final update (Iīve taken tomorrow morning and friday morning off work in order to have enough time to finish this by friday midnight, the deadline for the competition, wish me luck!
Old June 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Good luck Luciel! I hope you win. Bring home that bread!

Do we get to see the finished product before the deadline?