Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2012, 01:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quick Update.

It doesnīt seem like much but it took me all the time I had to spare today to do this, the steel on this case is really stubborn (specially on the back where itīs thicker)!

Aniway, the screws I ordered (yes I had to order them, it seems no one locally had 3mm x 50mm screws) arrived and I they did the job perfectly, now the GPUs are properly secured.

And all the borders have been cut to size and test mounted. Some trimming left to do on them and adjusting for a perfect fit, but itīs really starting to take shape now.

Aniway, more tomorrow hopefully.
Old June 7, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Oh man I was hoping for a teaser of the front panel. I have no idea what you are going to do with it but I'm sure it'll be great.
Old June 7, 2012, 02:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

To be completely honest with you it can go both ways, I have an idea and I have the materials for it, but no idea if itīs going to look out of place as itīs kind of... hmmm big, i.e. it will overlap on the lower end of the front panel and not sure how it will look with the rest of the case, should have it done this weekend though
Old June 10, 2012, 06:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

First update of the day...

To freshen up your memory, this is what the front looked like once I had cut out everything I didnt need out of it, remember that originally it had 2 doors and all sorts of things.

So I cut a further section to incorporate a new idea I had for the front (which you will partially see by the end of this update but not completely by a long shot till, with a bit of luck, the second and final update of today (i.e. tonight).

I then filled it all up with epoxy filler.

Once it was dry I started with what will become a couple of hours of sanding.

Thatīs how it looked yesterday before I called it a day and went out for a drink as I needed to disconnect badly.

Today, I started fresh this morning at around 10am and continued sanding until it was ready.

Next I used a bit of filler for the places where it had created air bubbles and ended up empty and continued sanding until it was as ready as it was ever going to be with the limited timeframe I have left (I no longer feel my hands lol).

Next I cleaned it up and aplied the vinyl (yes the front will be going in that wood look, the same as the PSU).

I thend modified the picture frame I had bought so it will simply slide in and "hug" the bottom and sides of the frontal.

Lastly and more importantly, I aplied all the ageing effects to both the vinyl and the frame and put them togueter.

Later today I will be triming the leftovers and keep on working on the rest of the design of the frontal.

Until then.
Old June 10, 2012, 10:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I know I said only one more update today... but Iīve just finished the front of the case, or at least until the package from Lamptron arrives, fingers crossed it arrives before friday or I wont meet my deadline.

Point is, Iīm in love with how it turned out so I wanted to come upstairs and post it so you guys can see it.

So what I did is, using the back of the back plastic of the frame, I sanded it down and throw some matt black paint on it. I cut it down to size and fit it in the opening. I then added two screws on the back of the middle of the frontal of the case to hang the 2 mini-pocket-watches from. I then stack them to the back plate using a bit of hot glue.

Mounted the frame on the case to make sure it all looked ok before I screwed the frame in (with itīs glass).

All good, then I put the glass in and screwed the frame on to the frontal and aplied the same paint effect to the screws so they would not be visible. I also added the same effect to the borders of the glass to make it look old and stained.

And the result...

3rd and last update for today later on.
Old June 10, 2012, 12:19 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Oo

oO

Curious as to how this turns out.
Old June 10, 2012, 01:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hey XNine, didnīt you already see it in *********?
Old June 10, 2012, 01:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Right, final small update of the day.

I am officially knakered, I need a shower, badly (lol), a bit of dinner, a movie, and bed, canīt believe the weekend is already over and work tomorrow :S

Aniway, I finished preparing two of the borders.

Vinyl:

Leftovers on the wall, yep.

And the ageing proccess aplied, i.e. final result:

And with this we reach 99 pictures on the project! I hope you all have a pleaseant evening and again, thanks for reading.

More tomorrow.
Old June 10, 2012, 01:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

F-ing Brilliant mate!
Old June 10, 2012, 01:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Cheers mate! :D