Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Overclocking.ca Operation: Delta

PART I

Project FX has be turned into something much better. The Gigabyte 990FX board and AMD FX-6100 CPU and 16GB of RipjawsZ DDR3-1600 have been sold and the project has turned from an AMD based system to an Intel based system. I am using an LGA 1366 platform and it is now a generation old however it suits my budget and needs quite nicely.

With this project I am doing a military theme.

Onto the parts.

Processor: Intel Core i7 950
Motherboard: ASUS Saberthooth X58
Cooling: Antec Khuler H2O 920
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 12GB DDR3-1600 (Green)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 570
SSD: Muskin Chronos 120GB SATA3
Storage Drive: Western Digital Caviar 2TB Green SATA2
Opitcal Drive: LG 24X DVD-RW
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider ST-1200
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 - Military Green

Here are some photos of the parts.

Here you see most of the parts.

Here is a close up of the processor.

Here is a close of the SSD and storage drive.

I do not have pictures of the case and memory as I have not gotten them yet. I will also be getting the Bitfenix Alchemy cable extensions in black. I also want to get some of the Bitfenix Alchemy LED strips, but I am unsure what colour, I was thinking either white or red. I am kinda of leaning towards red as it could be used to represent infra-red or the red lenses in an army flash light.

I also when money allows plan on getting a second Zotac GeForce GTX 570 to run in SLI. And now since the GTX 670 is out the GTX 570 should drop some in price.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nice to see 1366 revived, still does more then I need for my daily usage and gaming, my friend used my current i7 950 in a sabertooth motherboard for 11 months before I picked it up from him, pretty good board, one slight warning it would not overclock and keep its stability with all the RAM slots filled unless you kept it at stock(unless we found a bad board)
Old May 11, 2012, 08:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

PART II

Video Card Mod

Since I am doing a military theme the yellow/orange colour of the mesh on the Zotac GeForce GTX 570 would not match. I decided to take the video card apart and paint the mesh camouflage olive green.

The GeForce GTX 570 before I disassembled it.

The fan shroud removed.

The metal screen mesh is held on with 8 phillips screws.

The mesh is now removed.

Next I used a 3M Scuff Pad to scuff up the metal mesh so the paint would stick.

The screen painted. I used Krylon Fusion Camouflage Olive that I picked up at my local Canadian Tire. I sprayed two light coats and it covered nicely.

Here is the finished product. This will match the military theme very nicely.

Old May 11, 2012, 09:14 PM
MVP

man i love the zotac mod...one thing tho (not sure if the shroud is metal), if the shroud is metal would it be possible to sand down the logo to get rid of the yellow on the O...could also sand some of the black to get a rugged look with exposed metal imo would fit nicely with the look u seem to be going for!
Old May 11, 2012, 09:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
Nice to see 1366 revived, still does more then I need for my daily usage and gaming, my friend used my current i7 950 in a sabertooth motherboard for 11 months before I picked it up from him, pretty good board, one slight warning it would not overclock and keep its stability with all the RAM slots filled unless you kept it at stock(unless we found a bad board)
Yeah it's a nice board and CPU. I only plan on running 12GB 3x4GB so not all the slots will be populated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
man i love the zotac mod...one thing tho (not sure if the shroud is metal), if the shroud is metal would it be possible to sand down the logo to get rid of the yellow on the O...could also sand some of the black to get a rugged look with exposed metal imo would fit nicely with the look u seem to be going for!
Thanks. The shroud is plastic along with the Zotac logo and once the card is installed, you won't see the Zotac logo.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I like what you did with the shroud mod. looks much better then that orange before :)
Old May 12, 2012, 08:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Wow Jerry, that video card looks so much better. When you had told me your plan, i wasnt very sure that was gonna out this good lol. Way to go buddy, lets get some memory going and oc the shit out of it!