Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2012, 08:37 AM
Rookie

Angry Really badly need help! - Computer Fan Failure):

Okay, so I'm new to all this computer modding and custom case stuff, and I've placed a design on my case which I want and everything there is great, although I was messing around with the back fan with a friend trying to connect some LEDs and it didn't turn out at we had planned.
At first they only lit up when I booted my computer up, a few seconds they lasted then went off..
So we played around some more and it made a sort of popping noise or simply went boom and a little smoke came off the fan or the circuit board I'm not too sure which one but now the fan won't spin.
Thinking it might have just been the fan that had broke I went ahead and bought myself a new fan however I've just connected it and booted my computer up and again it's not spinning which leaves me with the idea it's something on my motherboard?
Is anyone able to help me please it's really annoyed me):

Last edited by AdamHuw; May 9, 2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Changing title
Old May 9, 2012, 09:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

If you put your head near the mono and give it a sniff does it smell like burnt electronics?(try this with the supposedly dead fan too). If so I'm not positive on what happened but it sounds like a cap or something similar on the fan header circuitry might have let go
Old May 9, 2012, 09:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that would be my guess as well..... probably pulled too much wattage from the fan header.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:51 AM
Rookie

Each thanks right, sorry if you don't get a notification or whatever im not too sure how to reply directly to your comment..
But yeah it smells like burning.. How did I fix it myself or am I best taking it to some rip off guy down the local market?
Old May 9, 2012, 02:07 PM
Rookie

Does anyone know what I actually have to do to solve my problem?
It's really annoying me since I was do excited to get this fan.. & Yes it smells like burning or it has burnt.. ):
Old May 9, 2012, 02:19 PM
Top Prospect

use an adapter to connect it to molex, will let you know if it is fried
Old May 9, 2012, 08:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

If its the mobo then Im pretty sure you cant fix it.....
Old May 10, 2012, 12:35 AM
Rookie

But I'm not sure how to fix it?
I've Google'd it and I can't find anything/:
Old May 10, 2012, 01:26 AM
Rookie

I don't think it is the motherboard.. I took the fan out and the smell was only coming from where it plugs in. So am I able to replace the little component thing where it plugs in? The little socket on the circuit board? Hope its not completely ****** D:
Old May 10, 2012, 02:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sounds like you killed the fan header, have you tried other ones? Either way i would RMA the board.

Tags
burnt , fail , fan , smoke , spinning