Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2008, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default UPDATED Apr 10, Monster Case

Ok so i got my first shipment in a long list of parts today for my new watercooling project i have committed to. I have received the following parts.

D-Tek Fuzion CPU Block (best one IMHO out there right now)
Danger Den Filport (A must for any loop)
Swiftech MCP655 Pump (Awesome for those with space)
NCIX Mystery Box (He he he, i just had to do this eh)

So without further ado let's get this train wreck rolling.

First Up D-tek Fuzion, yes i am going to make you wait for the mystery box. I'm a real bastard eh.

First up the box it came in. Nothing fancy here just a plan jane white box with the product labeled on the outside.

I personally feel this gives the company a lot of class saying we don't need cheesy graphics to sell our products. That or the company is about to go belly up and can't afford it

Once i unpacked my lovely new and second d-tek i noticed some slight differences.

1. The hardware screws were already assembled and 2. the brackets are chrome plated now, very nice D-tek

Here is a close up of the brackets. It's kinda hard to tell but the chrome plating is a mirror finish.

And the assembled screws / springs

Here is the top of the D-tek, Nothing to see here.

And finally the bottom. The mirror finish is very good. not quite as good as the brackets but still excellent for a factory finish. Now if only D-tek would make these in nickel plated finish we would be getting some serious bling.

Next up is the Danger Den filport. These little guys, are cheap, look great and make it EXTREMELY easy to fill a loop. They come in 4 colors. Delrin (black), anodized blue, brass and red in some cases. They are very easy to install, just drill a 1" hole with either a hole saw or a tapered drill bit. I went with the delrin one since the case i am getting is having a black finish.

Next up is the Heart of the system, The swiftech MCP655 pump with Speed control. I love these guys. On any setting from about 2.5-1 they are silent. at 5 they audible but move an insane amount of water 1200LPH or 310 GPH. Also they run on 12v DC so no relays here.

First up is the front of the box. It looks like Swiftech's marketing budget is slightly larger than D-tek's. Why? Fancy Box.

More fancy box

Geek side of Fancy box

Now once i opened it there was another less fancy box. This makes for an excellent packing on swiftech's side.

Upon opening the box liner we have the hardware package and the pump.

The following pictures are showing the pumps different angles

and of course the artsy shot.

I just love this pump.

And now finally. The mystery Box.

Hmm, mystery box from NCIX could be good news. could be backdated invoices.

Well i crack it open and well it looks like this.

i have a good idea but can't see through the bubble wrap. Solution rip it open, carefully.

First to come out some very bizzare mounting hardware.

Next up. something more familiar. A fan shroud.

if you don't know yet, you need to more computers in your house.

it's my butt ugly rad, err heater core.

This is the Danger Den Dual Pass Heater core.

Gratuitous closeup of barbs.

I am hoping this is going to give me good cooling performance. If not it's no biggie since it was only 37 bucks.

And finally to protect my rad of getting damaged i have the all powerful rad guardian system. AKA: Glitch.

And thats all i have so far. I am now waiting for my tax refund to arrive before i can buy anything more. I will update this thread at that time with more pictures so please don't beg they will get here eventually. Unless of course you want to see more pics of my cat.

Last edited by lcdguy; April 10, 2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old April 2, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Sweet deal! That's a purdy heatercore! (still dont know what to do with my single 120mm heatercore....)

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old April 2, 2008, 10:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Looking interesting, Can't wait to see more.
Old April 2, 2008, 10:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Awesome. Another heatercore guy, I thought I was the only one. Yeah they're not purdy but they work really well. That shroud seems a bit shallow to me though but hey who am I to say. What's the dims of that core? Seems kinda cheating though getting it from a comp store with barbs already soldered on, I got mine from crappy tire.

Maybe look into the pro mounting kit for the Fuzion. I have one for mine and it's more than just for looks, real nice piece of kit and it's only like $9 or so.

So who's the lucky chassis?
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old April 3, 2008, 03:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

well i will tell you. I am going to be getting a Mountain Mods H2GO chassis in the black wrinkle finish. :D I can't wait. Inregards to the pro mounting kit i will look into it but if i can't get it froma canadian supplier i won't be getting one. Also the fan shroud is designed just to be able to easily mount the fans to the heater core. It's actually quite nice. It's made from acrylic.

Old April 4, 2008, 08:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

found some extra cash so i have some more parts on order, should be showing up next week.

i have the following coming.

Clearflex, oooooh
Thermaltake A2385 (i think is the model number) fans x6
Swiftech 8800 mosfet Heatsinks which i am going to use on my 2 HD 3850's since no one in canada sells the HD3650 version of the EK FC CF blocks.

Then when i finally get my refund i can purchase the big ticket items.

ciao for now,

lcdguy

Old April 7, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I ordered the rest of my stuff, but shipping was not fun at 51 bucks for purolator ground :(.

The rest that i coming

Monster Mods H2go White Gloss
EK FC Hd3870CF Nickel Plated x2
Arctic silver Premium Adhesive
Arctic Silver 5 High Density Compound
Danger Den Fill Syringe
D-Tek Chrome Plated 1/2 G1/4 Barbs 2 pair

I am hoping the price matches are accepted especially the case.

I will post pics as the stuff arrives.

Old April 8, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The postman was generous this morning got some more swag. But 4 of my fans were back ordered :(. Ah well can't win them all i guess.

First up the second mystery box. What could be inside ?

Now onto the goodies.

First up are these thermaltake fans. While they are no noctuna fans they are however rated at 78cfm and only cost me 6 bucks each. Plus they come in red :D

Next up are the heatsinks i bought for my 2 hd3850's since no one in canada sells the HD3850 FC CF block by EK i had to get teh 3870 and use these to cool the mosfetts. These guys are alot smaller than the pictures show.

And finally nothing to fancy but the tubing i have come to love to use due to it's durabliilty and price. a ten foot segment of Danger Den Clearflex 60.

Old April 10, 2008, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

So i had some free time waiting for stuff to arrive i decided to start mounting the shroud on my heater core. One little problem No instructions. But not biggie I'm a guy. I wouldn't have read them anyway. Well i did end up doing a little damage to the fins. But lets home the piping is ok. if not i'll just buy another one They aren't that expensive. One word of note so other don't make my mistakes. 1. the provide more nylon hardware than you need. 2. On use the nylon rods to mount the shroud to the rad use the metal screws for the fans.

First is the money shot. All of the parts by themselves.

Tools used

The next step is to insert 4 of the eight supplied nylon rods in the corners of the rad

Once that is done put it aside and mount the fans to the shroud. Use the wood screws provided. One other word of caution use a phillips the heads are soft and a blade will muck the heads up.

And the other one

Finally slide the shroud over the nylon rods and attach the provided washers and nuts.

I hope to have everything else sometime next week as it takes 3-4 days for it to arrive by ground from BC :D

Cheers,

Lcdguy

Old April 15, 2008, 04:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

So i checked my tracking info this morning and good news. The rest of my build is on the truck for delivery :D. Will post pics later tonight if i get chance or tomorrow.