Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2012, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default RFID power switch

My friend showed me his computer earlier with a mag switch as a power button, you wave the corresponding magnet in front of the case and it boots right up, obviously the magnets are a slight risk to the PC hardware so that got me thinking, is there any RFID power switches, where i can just wave a keycard in front of my computer and it'll boot up, and if not how easy would it be to fabricate such a thing with little to no electrical knowledge.
Old April 28, 2012, 04:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I believe ASUS does something similar to this, but using Bluetooth and your phone. When you're in proximity it wakes the PC, when you leave, it puts it to sleep.
Old April 28, 2012, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's cool, i might actually have to see if i can find an app that does that.. or code my own up. I believe theres a few apps that do that with webcams as well.
Old April 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Decided to code something up in C++ that pings an IP on my network, and when it times out it automaticly makes my computer go to sleep. Now to figure out how to get it to start backup when the IP is connected.. might have to rewrite it in bash and load it up on my router so it can send magic packets to my computer when the IP is connected.