Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2013, 09:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well boys, I spent some time playing with the camera tonight and decided to do a small build log update. I felt the pictures I have here now never did my rig justice. The thing looks WAY better in person but I could never get the pictures to turn out as well as I've seen others. There didn't seem to be enough drool factor in my pics. To be honest there still isn't because photobucket sucks and somehow degraded my shots of the inside.... but I tried.

I should also note that I've made some small changes to the rig. I replaced the front blue LED 120mm fan with a red one, added a 140mm red LED fan to the rear, removed the blue cold cathodes, added a red LED strip behind the top rad, relocated the UV cathodes, and swapped out the Auzentech Prelude for an Asus ROG Phoebus. Soon I will be replacing the Silverstone PSU with a 1000W XFX unit, and replacing the Enzotech CPU block with an EK Supremacy. I may order 4 corsair sp120 fans for improved system cooling, and add a drain/fill port. Taking the top off of the EK res to add water is a pain in the ass! You can also be sure that the blue LED fan under the bottom rad will be replaced too! I'm still debating on an FX-8350. I even got permission from the Missus and everything!

Last edited by Killswitch; January 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old January 27, 2013, 02:18 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

look great kill, but some of the tubing i would of trimmed down for a better fit :P

like upper rad to gpu and gpu to lower rad,

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 780 3GB
2x 4GB G.Skills Trident X DD3-2400
NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black / Enermax Revolution 920W
A-DATA S510 120GB OS / A-DATA SX900 256GB Games / WD Black 1TB Misc

Canadian Eh ?
Old January 27, 2013, 03:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Nice job!
Go for the FX, if nothing to show you have 8 graphs in the task manager
Old January 27, 2013, 05:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I see you also removed the red exterior accent paint from the case. Looks a hell of a lot better than the one I had. Take FULL advantage of your wifes OK while you still have it. Excellent work buddy!!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old January 27, 2013, 10:52 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0k0 View Post
look great kill, but some of the tubing i would of trimmed down for a better fit :P

like upper rad to gpu and gpu to lower rad,
Thanks! Shortening up some tubing is also in the plans when I tear down soon. I have the loop arranged so there is a rad between the CPU/mobo and video card thinking it would help cool better. Currently the order is pump - cpu - mobo - top rad - video card - bottom rad - res. But I read that if your flow rate is good enough the order of components won't matter.... and I think that's correct. Also the flow rate should do nothing but improve once everything is shortened up. I'm thinking of changing the order to pump - top rad - cpu - mobo - video card - bottom rad - res.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Genius Jr. View Post
Nice job!
Go for the FX, if nothing to show you have 8 graphs in the task manager
Thank you. Haha good point about the graphs in task manager! It will look impressive to anyone I show it to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I see you also removed the red exterior accent paint from the case. Looks a hell of a lot better than the one I had. Take FULL advantage of your wifes OK while you still have it. Excellent work buddy!!
Nope, red paint on the exterior is still there.

Last edited by Killswitch; January 27, 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Top notch build there sir!
Looks excellent
Old January 29, 2013, 09:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
Top notch build there sir!
Looks excellent
Thank you very much!

Time for another update. I'm starting to wondering why I labeled this build thread as "complete".

I received some goodies lately. The FX-8350 and Corsair SP120's showed up today.

Sweet baby Jesus that's a nice finish on the bottom of the EK Supremacy!

So here's the Supremacy, new fans, and XFX 1000W psu installed. As you can see I made some major changes to the WC loop. A lot less tubing now!

Tomorrow night will be leak testing and finishing wiring behind in the rear panel (yuck).

After that...... seeing how far I can push that CPU.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

very nicely tidied up. Looks great. The corsair sp are getting great reviews, and they look excellent installed. I am curious to see what your gpu temps will be like having it after the cpu and mob. Not that I have any experience with WC, but it looks like a 45 deg off the bottom of the gpu would clean out the bend over the PSU fan...maybe not, but I thought I would mention it.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
very nicely tidied up. Looks great. The corsair sp are getting great reviews, and they look excellent installed. I am curious to see what your gpu temps will be like having it after the cpu and mob. Not that I have any experience with WC, but it looks like a 45 deg off the bottom of the gpu would clean out the bend over the PSU fan...maybe not, but I thought I would mention it.
Thank you!

I thought I'd give the SP fans a go for those exact reasons. Good reviews and great looks. The 7970 never broke 50*C before so we'll see how that turns out. I hope it stays in the same ballpark with this loop change. You're right about the fitting off the bottom of the gpu block, but I don't have many fittings to choose from right now. I should have tried harder ahead of time to see how it would turn out and ordered a small handful of fittings. Oh well.

Edit: I decided to take the "complete" label off of the thread title.

Edit #2: The mobo and video card are both running the exact temps as before. So it's true that in a system with sufficient coolant flow rate, the order of your components in the loop has no impact on their temperatures.

Last edited by Killswitch; February 1, 2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Alright, I posted this in the watercooling section and got no replies yet. I'm deleting that thread and adding the post here in hopes that maybe the members who frequent this area of the forum can help me.

I ordered a second 7970. I'm going to run it on air for a while until I get this stuff all figured out and acquire everything I'll need to add it to my existing loop.

The second card will be going where the sound card is now to obtain dual x16 operation, and the sound card will be moved up to either the x1 slot under the top the card or the second x16 slot (which only runs at x8 if used in crossfire).

Here are my questions......

1 - Which is better? Run the video card waterblocks in serial or parallel?

2 - Will I need another/more radiator? My temps are excellent right now. CPU doesn't break 45*C, GPU tops out at 47*C, and mobo hovers around 35*C. I can add a 120 rad at the rear if I have to.

3 - Will my pump be adequate for the added components? I'm running an EK-DCP 4.0 which is capable of pushing 800L/hour.

4 - Are the new EK CSQ blocks any better then the old ones? I'd like to run two of the same blocks mainly for aesthetics, but I can't find one the same as I currently have..... kinda bums me out. Should I keep searching or just buy two new ones?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Hmmm, I can't delete the other thread after all. Mods, feel free to remove it if you think it should be. Adding a second 7970. Need some advice.

Last edited by Killswitch; February 27, 2013 at 08:40 PM.