Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2012, 02:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendMask View Post
Damn cant wait to start on mine!! Looking good buddy
Thank you!!
Old April 1, 2012, 02:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well I found some time today to pick away at a few more things I was debating on doing with this build.

I wanted to paint the RX120 rad since it had a few chips in it (bought it used), and I had to decide what I was going to use for fans. One thing led to another and I decided to paint the fans too.

First I attacked the RX120 rad. I masked off the fins to ensure no paint would coat them and degrade heat dissipation qualities. Then I just rolled up some brown packing paper and 'screwed' them into the holes. Good to go.

Then I pulled the box of misc PC fans out of the closet. I figured my best choice would be a set of Scythe S-Flex fans I've been hanging on to. They have a superior bearing design and are very quiet when tuned down. However..... I wanted to paint the blades red. That should be simple enough right?

EFFFFFFFF!!!!! These things look like they're not made to take apart.
I didn't want to spend all kinds of time masking the shroud off and have them end up looking bad due to a crappy paint job, so I had to figure something else out.

I scrapped the Scythe idea and ripped into some old 120mm cooler masters. They'll do the trick I suppose.

More pics to come later tonight once the paint dries.
Old April 1, 2012, 09:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Here's how the fans and rad turned out. I'm definitely going to paint the 240 rad when it gets here.

Old April 1, 2012, 10:12 PM
Top Prospect

one thing i really hate about sprey painting parts is how sticky they get afterwards. if you have a work around please share!
Old April 1, 2012, 10:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by radish View Post
one thing i really hate about sprey painting parts is how sticky they get afterwards. if you have a work around please share!
All I can really suggest is to wait until the parts are dry before handling them. So essentially there is no work around.

The parts you see above are still tacky as I type this..... 8 hours after painting. However they're not too bad if you grab things by the edges. I just wanted to set them up for a couple quick pics before I head off to bed. They should be fully dry by the time I get home from work tomorrow. Hopefully the rest of my parts will be here by then as well.

Last edited by Killswitch; April 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old April 1, 2012, 10:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Great pics and looking nice buddy!
Old April 1, 2012, 10:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by irtehleet View Post
Great pics and looking nice buddy!
Thank you!
Old April 2, 2012, 06:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I received some more goodies in the mail today!
Aren't they just puuuurrrrdy????

........ and wouldn't this be enough to piss you off? The mounting for the Enzotech CPU block is in the way of mounting the EK mobo block!!

Old April 2, 2012, 06:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Crap!!!!!

Did you drop them a line? Maybe there's a fix they can ship out to you......

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 2, 2012, 06:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So what would you guys do? I need some advice. It'll be about a week if I was order a new CPU block, however I'd rather find another used one (that fits). The other thing is I have a friend who bought my M3A79T and DDR2 ram and he's somewhat waiting so I gotta get him going soon.

A:
Would you continue to run the CPU under the H100 and just use the mobo and video on air until getting another CPU block? Then do the entire custom loop all at once? (I'm strongly leaning towards this one)

B:
Install the CPU and GPU blocks, run the mobo with the stock air cooler until getting another CPU block? (this would require redoing part of the loop and possibly wasting tubing and MX-4 paste)

C:
Run the H100 with the EK mobo and gpu blocks.... so essentially have two separate water cooling loops for now? The mobo and 7970 would only be cooled with the RX120, and again this would be until I get a different CPU block. Also possibly wasting tubing and paste when I redo the custom loop.