Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2012, 07:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Lessons Learned

OK so the idea is I am redoing my gaming rig set-up with a few changes after learning a few things about what really works for me and what I really like and do not like.

The main things I am changing out are;

Case > getting rid of the Corsair 600tm, do not get me wrong it is a very well built case with a lot of great features but I am not a fan of the looks as it is to rounded and the bulges in the side panels do not look good to me. Planned replacement is a Fractal Design Arc Midi main reasons why are the classic simple design, smaller size and great cable management possibilities. Truely the case I would love to be doing this with is a Silverstone Fortress FT02 but I am just not ready to spend close to $250 on a case especially one that I am planning to do my first real go at custom paint and modding.

PSU > getting rid of the TX-950 again great piece really but 2 things it is not modular and is bigger then I really need. Planned replacement is an OCZ ZT-750 main reasons are wattage, price and the fact it is fully modular as I intend to fully sleeve it. I do have a couple questions about my sleeving options by way of for a first timer is it a better plan to do a paracord sleeve or use actual sleeving. Also I do have a concern that the SATA cables with the OCZ are black fixed cables and I am not sure if I can seperate the wires and pull the sata plug to "fully" sleeve the wires. If anyone has any better suggestions for a PSU I am all ears.

Cooler > getting rid of the H60 again great piece but I really want to go back to strictly air cooling as I am not clocking the guts out of it. Planned replacement here is a little up in the air so far I am leaning towards a Zalman CNPS11X but I am not 100% decided anyone have any better suggestions.

Last item that I am really looking for some suggestions on is fans so far I am thinking Gelid wings to replace and fill all the slots in the case, that being 2X140mm up front, 1X120mm in the bottom, 2X140 in the top and 1X120 in the back. I will not be using the side panel slot as I have a modding plan for that panel.

So any advice before I get going (parts are being ordered once my tax return gets here) would be greatly appreciated. And I will be documenting everything on this build as I go.

Thanks

Corsair 600TM, Corsair TX-950, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Core i5-2500k, Corsair H60, 4X4G Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Dual Gigabyte GTX-780 OC Rev2, Seagate 600 240G SSD, 3X WD Caviar Black 1TB, ASUS DVD, Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Old March 9, 2012, 07:49 PM
Rookie

About the power supply, if you are not using it to full capacity, thats fine. in fact from a lot of the tests I have seen, by only using say 60 percent of capacity you are going to be running more efficient. so in most cases you will save money on your energy bill, so keep your current one if you want.
Old March 9, 2012, 08:04 PM
Rookie

Your current PSU seems to peak in efficiency at 650-750 watts, at nearly 90 percent.
Old March 9, 2012, 10:24 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I would keep your current PSU if you're concerned about wattage. According to pretty much every single PSU I've seen you get the most efficiency out of your power supply at about 50-60% of its total load. So if you run your computer at 100% load quite often then keep your current PSU but if you're really set on dropping your wattage don't get an OCZ psu I mean they are a great company but some of their PSUs can be a little sketchy. Corsair, Seasonic, XFX are the brands that are generally recommended. As for the air cooler I have no complaints, maybe you could save a few bucks and get something like the 212 Evo which is a great performer. As for the fans a lot of it is on personal preference and budget. I myself like the turbine masters i have pretty quiet removable blades etc but tempted to switch to cougar votexs if ncix ever get them in just because of the greater than 150,000hrs MTBF. Gelids are nice too but pretty pricey for their high CFM models.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old March 10, 2012, 07:37 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yeah the PSU switch is not really all about the wattage load a major reason behind it is the fact I want a fully modular PSU to do a sleeving job on. Any suggestions for a good quality 750-850 W fully modular PSU under the 150$ price point?

As for the fans yeah I like the removable blades and the look of the Gelid's but 21$ per fan is getting up there which is why I was open to suggestions on them. I will check out the ones mentioned.

With the cooler saving 2-30$ is not important I want something that looks good and works well and preferably not something the size of a house lol.

All the parts I am pulling out are hopefully already sold, if not I will try and sell them or hold on to them until I end up building another gaming rig for one of my friends.

Corsair 600TM, Corsair TX-950, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Core i5-2500k, Corsair H60, 4X4G Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Dual Gigabyte GTX-780 OC Rev2, Seagate 600 240G SSD, 3X WD Caviar Black 1TB, ASUS DVD, Windows 8.1 Pro 64