Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2012, 08:14 PM
Rookie

Default Fan Trouble - Light Trouble

I can't decide what fans to get and it's driving me bonkers. I am also trying to decide whether to get a cathode or some led's.

I'd like my case to feel like the blue is containing the red inside of it. almost like the light side is containing the dark side (ik that sounds crummy but its the best way i can explain it). I don't want to sacrifice performance though. Will getting these fans ( Newegg.com - Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan ) for my top and back of my pc really make that big of a difference in case temp compared to these: Apevia 120mm Black Frame LED Case Fan - UV Blue at Xoxide!

And I'm curious, if I put a 120mm fan in a 140mm slot (it has 120mm screws ftr) wont some of the air that comes out of the case get sucked back in because of 10mm opening on each side?

Please feel free to recommend cheap blue led fans that are better (but i hate clear ones =p)

Thanks!

P.S. how is my wire management? Would you recommend an led or a cathode? I don't want my computer to be bright, I just want the componants to be visible. If led, which brand/kind (I;'m looking for red)

Old January 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

cable management sucks.
leds are better than cathode.
Old January 29, 2012, 08:51 PM
Rookie

lol, thanks. if i do the cable management any other way i swear the fricking back wont fit on. Is there any risk with my current cable management, because if not, its keeping my case cool and it looks fine imo.
Old January 30, 2012, 07:50 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

These fans looks great if you don't like transparent : Coolermaster R4-L2R-20AC 120MM Blue LED Case Fan 2000RPM 69CFM 19DBA 3/4 Pin - COOLERMASTER - R4-L2R-20AC-GP . I have six of these and they are OK. I bought them mostly for the look. They are not too noisy and they can move air but IMO, the Scythe are better.
LED strips are much better than cold cathode. You can connect them directly on your 12 volt without the need for an inverter.
Old January 30, 2012, 09:31 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname2020x View Post
lol, thanks. if i do the cable management any other way i swear the fricking back wont fit on. Is there any risk with my current cable management, because if not, its keeping my case cool and it looks fine imo.
Well if it's not obstructing airflow and it looks fine to you just leave it. But tbh it could be cleaned up a bit. Get a bunch of zip ties and see what you can do in 3hrs on a boring day. Also the BitFenix Spectre Pro fans have nice aesthetics and come in various colours. BitFenix also sells LED strips that are chainable and are super bright. You may also want to check your local walmart in their automotive section they sell LED strips there also but you can't chain them together and they aren't as bright as the BitFenix ones.

I wouldn't get cathodes mainly because they are bulky and since you said you're cramped for cable management space you'd have a hard time finding a place to put the inverter plus the wires are a little short.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:56 AM
Rookie

I do really like those fans pellelu, I will definitely consider them thanks!

As far as management goes, what you see about is my 3 hour zip tie attempt =p. You should have seen it before lol. Maybe I will screw with it some more and see what I can do.

I know I said I hate transparent fans, but I realized that I will never see the fan on the back of my case when it is off, and that the fan on the side is covered by shaded acrylic. So right now I'm considering getting this fro the side: Newegg.com - Thermaltake AF0026 Smart Blue LED 120mm Fan with Speed control knob

this for the back: Newegg.com - Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case Fan

and these for the top: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-S4S-10AK-GP 140mm Case Fan

and then 2 of these to light the inside of my case: Koolance Dual Ultra Bright LED Cable, 4-pin - Red Products Model: CBL-L4PRD [CBL-L4PRD] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

let me know what you think.

p.s. if I found led's at walmart, how would i connect them to my pc?