Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2012, 08:52 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default X-Mas present to myself

So I decided to give my q9550 rig to my fiance because the MSI laptop I got her a year ago is falling apart. Fortunately, that gave me an excuse to go overboard on my new rig . What follows was a week worth of headaches lol.

Step one: take everything out at once and leave it laying around.

Slight progress on the case, replaced the stock D5 top with an EK top.

Nice looking waterblock, the compression fittings just squeeze in. I'm really skeptical of the acetal though.

Roughing in where all the parts of the loop are going to get placed. That EK res was a pain in the ass, the compression fitting in the top was just barely too wide to screw all the way into the recessed top (source of my first leak . I had to take out my dremel and widen it. I found the installation instructions for the raystorm block to be lacking too, am I supposed to screw the block fittings all the way in?

I wasn't sure how the orange would look at first. Turned out pretty good, it looks much better in person. Also found my 2nd leak on the compression fitting in the top left, I hadn't pushed the tube far enough over the barb before screwing on the compression fitting.

This is it completely assembled, I was worried about temperature on the VRMs for when I started overclocking so I took a file folder separator drilled some holes in it (wrapped it in electrical tape for looks) and mounted a scythe slipstream(or flex?) to.

LEDs on the CPU block.

The bane of my existence, if my fiance didn't love that cat more then me it'd be out on the street .

Last edited by Fleurious; January 23, 2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Fan type
Old January 22, 2012, 09:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm jealous of the x79.

I just installed my own raystorm and I just shrugged and figured more mounting pressure is better and got it pretty damn tight.
Old January 22, 2012, 09:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like you have enough room on the vrm heat sinks to mount a 40mm fan onto just get some self tapping screws just wide enough to secure into the heat sink slots. It's what I did on my NB cooler on my MSI board.

Anyways nice system

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 22, 2012, 10:02 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Anyway you can put the pump lower than the res? So the water feeds it by gravity?

Nonetheless, looking good man!
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old January 25, 2012, 07:57 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
I'm jealous of the x79.

I just installed my own raystorm and I just shrugged and figured more mounting pressure is better and got it pretty damn tight.
I stopped a bit short of all the way screwed in. I just measured afterwards with a scale to make sure all four sides were even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
Looks like you have enough room on the vrm heat sinks to mount a 40mm fan onto just get some self tapping screws just wide enough to secure into the heat sink slots. It's what I did on my NB cooler on my MSI board.

[snip]
Anyways nice system
I only had 120mm and 230mm fans kicking around. I tried an ultra kaze 2krpm at first but it was painfully loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolab View Post
Anyway you can put the pump lower than the res? So the water feeds it by gravity?

Nonetheless, looking good man!

I could probably fit the pump lower near the hard drive bays but it runs really smooth right now and it's not a very restrictive loop. I sat the case on it's side so the res would be the highest point in the loop to help bleed out any bubbles.

Temperature wise I believe the highest I've seen is 62c after an hour of Linx. Still not fully stable as every other night my F@H will BSOD. I've tried using straight multipliers and also using a 125x bclck with lower multipliers, gonna mess around with it more this weekend.